Vickers Varsity Build Blog

Tony Bennett

Well after disrupting the "members new models" thread, it was suggested that i start a new thread on my latest project. smiley

Then you can all reminisce to your hearts content.

Now as you probably all know now, i like building with Depron.

i know it is not every ones cup of tea, but i like it so ner. cheeky

I spent a few hours drawing up the plans on my cheap CAD program and commenced building back at the end of june.

As normal i started with the fuselage.

The fuselage is built in two halves on the building board and then joined together later.

Advert

Wings were just built using a Clark y airfoil section as it makes for a simple build.

the Centre section will be glued into the fuselage and the outer sections will slide on.

the nacelles were designed next and then constructed.

And this is where we are now.

Today's job is to construct the bomb aimers cupola and make up the access hatch for the rx.

Thank you for watching.

Tony.

PS, let the reminiscing begin. cheeky

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Toni Reynaud on 04/09/2016 07:26:18:

My first posting was at No 2 Air Navigation School at Hullavington in 1962. We sent 8 or 10 of these off twice and sometimes three times each day with the students on board. Lots of physical work for a young lad!

Edited By Toni Reynaud on 04/09/2016 07:26:45

At Stradishall we also did a lot of night flying with students.

I do have alittle story about some of them but it wouldn't go down well here.

Ha! There are still a few of us around!

My Air Navigator training, in the early sixties, was at Thorney Island and Hullavington (the ANS moved during my course), and a little bit at Stradishall as well.

I must have around 800 flying hours in the Varsity. Watching this thread brings back memories (mostly good), but I have a vague recollection that that the Stradishall flying was on the Meteor Mk 14. My memory isn't what it was, and my log books and stuff disappeared decades ago...

I had two spells at STradishall. from 64 to 65 and then my last year in the RAF in 67. with a tour in Germany in between.

I was on the Varsity line in the first period. I don't remember Meteors then but we did have some Dominies but I had nothing to do with them

On my last time there I was on ASF dealing with Varisities

OK, I think I remember now...

While the N° 2 ANS (Air Navigation School) was being moved from Thorney Island to Hullavington (late 61 or early 62), I think the courses were temporarily operated from Stradishall, during the period of the move (a few weeks).

This would explain the presence of all the ANS aircraft (Varsities and Meteor 14s) at Stradishall for a short period.

It's a long time ago, but I think that's what happened. Then, some years later, perhaps the school was moved again to Stradishall, but that's after my time!

Edited By brokenenglish on 04/09/2016 09:45:59

Clearly there was a bit of "moving about" during the sixties. During my Nav school time (61/62), the two schools were Topcliffe and Thorney Island, so I think Topcliffe may have been N° 1, but I don't really know.
My time at Thorney Island was fantastic. If I could have spent the rest of my life like that, I would have been really happy, and I did appreciate it as such at the time, but it was just one of those magic periods that never last long enough...

Edited By brokenenglish on 05/09/2016 11:00:04