Vickers Varsity Build Blog

Tony Bennett

Advert

Posted by Rich2 on 06/09/2016 09:05:08:

Oi, this is a build thread! wink

Sorry Rich. I did make a conscious effort to avoid drifting into some of our antics on Nav school.

In mitigation, our ramblings are supplementing the build log, just filling in the inevitable gaps while the build is progressing. They're not detracting from, preventing or replacing the build log...

At the risk of annoying Rich a bit more I must share my favourite Varsity story.

We had a station flight Vartsiry that was used for various jobs and it had a couple of VIP seats at the rear, just in front of the flare chute.

The aircraft did the occasional trip to Gibraltar with thre groud crew.

On One trip the AOC came with us accompanied by a young pilot officer. On the return trip we had all eaten our packed lunches.

The young officer wantng to look efficient, collected all the boxes and sandwich wrappers etc. and stuffed them into the flare chute. He then closed the top and opened the bottom. Nothing happened so he opened the top to push the debris out.

Unfortunately what happened was that the slip stream blew all the rubbish straight back into the cabin, right over the AOC sitting in his VIP seat.

The young Pilot Officer was rushing round and picking bits f eggsshell etc off the AOC. while he sat there looking like thunder.

The ground crew who had seats further forward all promptly reatreated as far away as possible helpless with laughter.

We never heard what happened to that young PO!!

well at the moment i am doing all the boring bits that i hate. the bits where i get fed up and stop working on the model.

run 8 wires through each wing now to run all the servo's, retracts, and escs.

need to fit the nose retract and then i can cover and paint.

haven't decided on a colour scheme yet.

any idea's.

Peter, I envy your experiences. I was a bit too late for national service and short-sightness prevented me from flying with the RAF, so I never joined up. Perhaps it was a mistake but my enthusiasm goes back to my early childhood and it's never dimmed.

Designing, building and occasionally flying models of planes that fascinate me is part of me converting my interest into making these wonderful machines, some of which don't even exist any more, let alone fly, come back to life and appear in their natural element. Time and other commitments prevented me from keeping up the Group "A" PPL I got in the eighties, but I stay in touch in every way that I can and the flight in the Boultbee Spitfire in May was what it's all about for me.

Tony converts dreams into reality, that's what the Varsity is about and look at his AW Ensign project. Wonderful. Kindred spirits. It's not just about flying model planes. Go for it Tony!

Colin.

I was not on that particular Varsity flight.

I was an airframe fitter for 12 years. and was lucky enough to work on quite a few types of aircraft starting with the last Lancasters in the RAF

IT was the modelling that made me join the RAF. Like you my eyesight was not good enough to fly. but I was happy working on aircraft. I think that I am more of a hands on type.

Tony.

Most Varsities were roughly the same colour scheme. SOme had more dayglow on them.

I have looked through all my photos and can't find any of our Varsity although I am sure that I had one. However that are a lot on Google.

Sure was Colin. I flew in a Varsity and, of course, a Chippy whilst at ATC camp, Marham. I won the draw for a Linclon night flight which was sadly scrubbed when it went us. Rations box was devoured very quickly after hearing the news!! The technology driven tranisitions were plain to see. I remember, as well as the above as well as the resident Valiants, visiting Canberras, Victors and, possibly, a Vulcan. The Varsity(s) and Lincolns were being used to train bomb aimers and possibly navigators for the v bomber force although I fully expect Peter will embarrass me with some superior knowledge!!

Model is looking really good by the way, Tony.

Keep it up.

Had fun flying the Varsity in '73 when converting from Jets to Multi engine. The morning starts with clouds of smoke, Low level Navexes around Cambridgeshire felt like a wartime mission with the noise of the Twin Bristol Hercules drowning out everything whilst leaving a cracking oil slick. Wonderful classic machines. Can't wait to see the model fly. Good luck with the build. The Oakington colour scheme is bright and easy to see with white, red, and grey (all oil streaked of course !!)

Posted by Terry Walters on 06/09/2016 18:53:22:

My rides were all the dayglo schemed Varsitys Tony.

That is apart from the one at RAE Thurleigh which was the Blind Landing Experimental Unit (BLEU) in mid to late '60s - that was an exciting and interesting ride LOL! We each had a landing up front in the right hand seat while the pilot did X wind landings hands off!!

That is apart from the one at RAE Thurleigh which was the Blind Landing Experimental Unit (BLEU) in mid to late '60s - that was an exciting and interesting ride LOL! We each had a landing up front in the right hand seat while the pilot did X wind landings hands off!!

And the toilet is right down the back of the aircraft!!!

Coming along nicely

I am reminded of the effort involved in closing those ruddy cowlings.

They were in four sections. The two side sections swung open on hinges. The top and bottom sections were hinged to the side sections.

You undid the over centre latches and the whole cowl opened up like a big flower. great for access to the engines.

Closing them was another matter.

You closed the two side sections and held them in as close to the engine as possible. Then you did the top and bottom sections.

The top wasn't too bad, you dropped that over and pushed on the side panels while someone tried to engage the big over centre latches which engage with the oposite side section.

The bottom one was a swine. They were all very heavy but you had to swing the bottom one up and try and engage those latches Even with two or three of you it was not easy. One person had no chance