Extended holidays

Keith Evans 3

Over the next few years my wife and I intend to travel extensively .Staying abroad will be any thing from 1 to 3 months at a time We already have our own personal travel insurance cover and our own personal car hire cover .

We understand that our house insurance needs to reflect our time abroad and we have family and friends who can keep an eye on our house when we are away .

We also understand the need for up to date vaccinations and the need for regular prescriptions to be catered for.

What other advice and help have you found useful when faced with extended holidays ?

Advert

Ensure that you have a letter from your doctor to cover the prescriptions you are travelling with. Sometimes taking large amounts of medications, dependant upon what they are, can land you with a suspicion that you're smuggling drugs. Might sound daft but it happens a lot and is quite important.

Make sure you look at the travel advice on the website here: **LINK** . Look closely at the security, terrorism pages. Most importantly look at the local laws and customs pages. Don't get arrested out of ignorance!

Mappage!  Ensure you know where to go if your digs turn out to be less than desirable and you need to move on.

Been on many travels to places you don't want to go. Take sunscreen and imodium (loperamide) for diarrhoea relief. Very important not be caught out by either!

Make sure you close the fridge door when you lock up the house. Turn off your water boiler.

Will you be staying in hotels or a mobile home?

Edited By John F on 25/08/2016 13:56:51

renew European Health Insurance card.

Carry copies of passport, driving licence and other docs in some separate way.

Pack some of each others clothes in the opposite suitcase in case 1 goes missing on the flight.

Carry a travelling kettle or cup immersion heater and make a decent cup of tea & save a fortune . ( buy USA voltage one in the states)

If you are going to the USA send me a PM and I will tell you a few worthwhile places that are not generally known about such as somewhere more scenic than Yosemite without any crowds etc.

Two things that saved me a lot of money

Joining the frequent flier club for the airlines I used - this gave me 10 percent discount on car hire with Hertz or Avis etc and a free car upgrade just by having the card and quoting the number ( you don't actually need to travel by that airline! ) Eventually it may get you a free flight but more likely just a discounted fare.

Join British Airways Executive club, and Virgin Flying club. My card gets me 10 percent off Hertz even when I go by Easyjet etc

Looking for a 'seniors' rate for motels - often over 55 or 60 qualifies and can get as much as 25 percent discount. Choice Hotels and lots of other hotel groups do senior rates. in any case don't accept the first room rate offered ask if there is a more economical room rate.

Posted by John F on 25/08/2016 13:52:42:

Make sure you close the fridge door when you lock up the house. Turn off your water boiler.

Certainly turn off the water - friends of ours came home after a long weekend only to find water pouring down the stairs and under the front door because the header tank ballcock valve had failed. Ruined a LOT of stuff. Fortunately they were insured but the hassle ...

But don't close the fridge door. Empty it, turn it off or unplug it and leave the door slightly open. That's how we leave the fridge in our campervan - it keeps the inside fresh.

Geoff

Posted by Keith Evans 3 on 25/08/2016 15:30:47:

John , we'll be staying in a mixture of motels and rented accommodation .

Keith

Sounds cool but I'd still say that mappage is good habit to get into. Know where alternatives are, just in case.

I would also add don't rely on internet access to retrieve documents. Some parts of the "civilised" world are barely out of the horse and cart era. Relying on technology can let you down badly just when you need it.