Which Heli sim?

Tim Yates

I have a 3 channel helicopter which i have been enjoying. It's just a cheap RTF kit but i have happily been flying it around the field in low winds. I need to move on and progress and would like a sim to help this.

When i learnt to fly planes i used RC Plane Master - in mode 2 which was helpful. I am now considering using their heli sim..... can i ask, shall i stick to mode 2? Or is their any reason to go mode 1?

A side note: From current experience i prefer flying my plane. However heli flying is much easier to do from where i now live.

Cheers

Tim

Advert

Hi Tim, there's absolutely no reason why you would need to swap to mode 1 if you're already used to mode 2. I use mode 2 for both fixed wing and helis.

I'm afraid I don't have any experience of RC Plane Master, however I've found Phoenix sim to be quite accurate when it comes to helis, in fact I believe it was originally designed as a heli sim.

Of course the added bonus of learning to fly helis is that it makes the use of rudder on your fixed wing models so much easier to get to grips with.

Steve

I can't imagine any reason to switch to mode 1 for helis. I used to fly with somebody who flew fixed-wing and helis on different modes, but I'm fairly sure he initially learnt to fly fixed-wing on mode 1 and then helis on mode 2.

To my mind (trying not to start the usual 'mode war'!) mode 2 is more 'natural' anyway, but it seems to me to be even more so for a heli. If you already fly mode 2 I cannot see any benefit, or reason, to switch to mode 1.

As for sims, I have Phoenix. When I was learning to fly helis (I have flown fixed-wing for much. much longer) I found the sim invaluable. Particularly for learning the things that you just have to learn to do instinctively and can be expensive on the real thing when you get it wrong - like hovering nose-in.

Edited By John Privett on 03/09/2016 17:06:03

Thanks folks.

I just dug out my RC Plane Master and it doesn't work on our PC which is now window 10. So glad i didn't order RC Heli Master.

I will check out the sim's you guys mention. I guess they come with a handset that resembles an RC one?

I am also considering buying an indoor 3d heli and learning for real that way (slowly though). Any suggestions on suitable model welcome...

Yes Spektrum set. I will probably stick to the Blade heli's as they have a good reputation and spares and reasonably available.

If anyone knows of any good stockists of Blade Heli's in Oxfordshire or near by (i'm near to Bicester) then i'd be pleased to know. I have visited Howes Models but they seem to cater more for toy RC stuff rather than higher end models.

Posted by Tim Yates on 03/09/2016 18:13:26:

I will check out the sim's you guys mention. I guess they come with a handset that resembles an RC one?

Phoenix doesn't come with a transmitter/handset. It comes with a lead, one end plugs into the PC USB port, the other into your existing transmitter - directly for, I think , JR and perhaps Spektrum, and via an inexpensive adaptor for Futaba and other tx's.