Scrap Box Wellington Bomber

Hi All,

Back in the 1990's a rival magazine made available Tony's design of a 60" wingspan Vickers Wellington for a pair of 370 size motors or geared 380 size motors.

This was my first electric plane and I was still fairly new at model building.

wellington (1280x849).jpg

Finished in coastal command colours to keep the wight down as I used a white covering.

In those days I built a little on the heavy side and she did fly but very very marginal and on the third flight the dihederal brace snapped in flight and that was the end of her.

I always fancied building another one day and that one day is today.

Having purchased the plans and canopies several years ago and noticing that my scrap box needed thining down a bit, I had almost enough wood and ply to build it without spending much. In fact there is very little to it

a naked wellington (1280x864).jpg

Yes they are flower pots on the nacelles

My first Wellington before covering.

The specs are:-

Wingspan 60" which is 1/15.5 scale (very close to my Short Stirling at 1/16th)

Power (1990's) a pair of 370 / 380 sized motors plus an optional mini olympus gearbox.

Power 2016 a pair of Turnigy D2830/11 1000kv motors plus 30amp ESC's

Functions 3-4

Flying weight 40oz That's just 2 1/2lbs

Battery (1990's) 5-6 1400 or 1700 SCE weighing 1lb

Battery 2016 Lipo 3s size- not sure yet

Having cut out all of the pieces a couple of weeks ago and as the weather is bad today so I cannot continue painting my Catalina, I thought lets build the welli.

dsc08814.jpg

All the parts cut and ready to go. I usually start on the tail feathers but as these are all sheet material once cut out their done.

So it's on to the fuselage

dsc08815.jpg

dsc08816.jpg

dsc08817.jpg

Well that did not take too long just a couple of hours. Formers take glued with cyano and PVA on the joints speeded up the process.

This after noon I'll make a start on the wings.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

I have made a start on the wings and found that I was short of a couple of lengths of 1/16th so for now I borrowed some from my next build (another of Tony's plans) and ordered some to replace those that I borrowed.

I have made one half of the wings just have to wait for the glue to dry to sand down before adding the top cappings.

Also, I have double the thickness of the dihederal brace from 1/32 ply to 1/16th

dsc08818.jpg

A bit more work in the wings and all fitted together well.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Tony, I find your comment reassuring, I thought I had built it too heavy. I recall not achieving the target weight.

Hi All,

Done quite a bit more today, second wing panel half completed and almost finished off the first. Also, sanded down the fuselage made the gun turrets and fitted the canopies.

This has got to be the fastest plane I've built in a long time.

dsc08819.jpg

Second panel made, thicker dihederal brace fitted

dsc08821.jpg

dsc08823.jpg

Fitting the tail feathers next and completing the wings when my wood arrives then joining them.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Progress has slowed a little due to lack of time plus I managed to get some flying in over last weekend.

The basic airframe is now completed the wings are joined, nacelles started

dsc08858.jpg Could not resist fitting the wings. Motors are in place as is the motor wiring plus the bowden cable for the ailerons. I have made a start on the main undercarriage, fixed legs as per plan. I did toy with the idea of retracts but the size I was looking at were on back order in HK, so being as I'm a bit tight for time to complete this model this year, I can only spray paint outdoors on the lawn and I would like to finish it before I start my winter / spring / summer build.

Next, I will finish off the nacelles, cut out the ailerons, shape the leading edges and attach the belly pan to the wings plus shorten the bowden cables, by then I can start thinking about covering the model.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Thank you Colin, fancy doing one in depron.

Hi All,

I have made the nacelles and fitted the bowden cables and on raiding my wifes collection of plant pots I thought I'd found the ideal size. The plan shows two black plastic plant pots cut down.

However, plant pots have changed a little since the plans were drawn and they turned out to be very flimsy plus too narrow. I did toy with the idea of making my own as I did with my Stirling. Then when in the bathroom I spotted a possible replacement, this being a soap dispenser, I'll try it later in the week when it empties, but first measurements are looking promising.

dsc08861.jpg

I used 18mm to bring the motor out to the desired position

dsc08863.jpg

I'm not to sure how durable the u/c legs will be our field is a little rough

dsc08862.jpg

The plant pot idea worked on my original model but the material is a lot softer.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

That looks good. I built one a couple of years ago. Still in uncovered state because I wanted to use brushless and wasn't sure what to use . For the nacelles I used 11/2 litre Pepsi bottles, they are a perfect size and have a nice rounding edge for the front. I will try and put a couple of piccies up later.

Vince

300 Watts,WoW,yep..that will go ballistic.If I remember ,Tony flew the welly on a couple of 400 brushed motors,although it was marginal.The way the plane was built it is very light .

I've got a couple of spare Emax BL2215/20 brushless motors,i might use them for my welly to get her finished and use a 3 cell 2200 lipo(ive got plenty of them ,I use them for my 450 heli's).

vince

Hi All,

I had to re-route the aileron bowden cables to get a smooth movement plus I had to move back the exit position for the cables.

I have finished covering the model and started to paint it, although I'm still having problems in finding the right size bottles for the nacelles.

dsc08873.jpg

By pulling back the exit point it allows the aileron linkage to move fully without fouling the outer tube.

dsc08874.jpg

I have also added wing bolts to secure the wing. I was not too keen on the original sliding dowels as shown on the plan.

That's all for now

Next I'll continue with the painting and fit the remaining servos and push rods

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert,

Wow that brings back some memories, I remember that plan from when I was a singlie in the Army. I was attempting to build it but never completed it(lost the plan and other bits in transit somewhere!). Can't wait to see the end results.

cheers

Rob

Hi Rob,

I must admit it is bringing back some memories during the build so far, I remember building it on my mothers kitchen table.

I was hoping to do a bit more painting today but it rained nonstop here, typical as I had the day off work.

I am looking forward to flying her, just can't get over how light it is.

Regards

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've had quite a productive week working on two models.

The wellington is almost finished, radio gear installed, push rods fitted and re-fitted- I decided to re-do the elevator push rod as when giving up elevator one side was higher than the other, in effect the elevators were twisting so I change the push rod in to "Y" configuration so that both of the elevators have the same movement. Tail wheel bracket made and fitted and finally tonight I applied the last coat of paint.

dsc08875.jpg

A little tricky to install but this should give a bit more authority and stop any turning tendencies when applying full up.

dsc08877.jpg

I am really pleased with the control throw these tiny servos can do, I was a little sceptical if they could do it. Also the ply plate with the blind nuts for the wing bolts

dsc08878.jpg

I covered the model in Solartex as I had several off cut and part rolls under the bench and used up some part tins of paint, keeping to the thread title, although all of the radio gear is new.

Next to do will be making the nacelles, I have gone for the soap dispensers which although are not big enough by a couple of mil will look the part I hope. Then it will time to try to balance it with old Sub C battery packs I have got and then weigh them to see what size Lipo matches the weight and size.

And finally get some decals sorted.

That's all for now, I'll put some more photos up of the completed paint scheme over the weekend.

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

Photos taken, nacelles sorted, found one the exact size, only had one in the house, down to Home Bargins tomorrow 89p each with free soap!!!

dsc08882.jpg

dsc08883.jpg

The soap dispenser cut down and pushed straight on, I increased the size of the wheels a bit, as our parch is a bit lumpy

dsc08885.jpg

Decals and canopies to go

I have balanced her using a 7 cell sub C pack I had kept. This model balanced with the battery pack just forward of the wing, I recall on my original model having to push it as far forwards as possible. The battery pack weighs 380g, so all I have to do is find a suitable Lipo the same weight.

Next time I'll let you know if I've hit the target weight of 42oz's

Regards

Robert

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Stuart,

I'm glad you have enjoyed it so far.

I've gone as far as I can now, I have finished the nacelles and fitted all of the electrics. I am waiting on the decals which are being made for me and should arrive soon I hope.

I haven't as yet run the motors or fitted the props. I'm hoping to do so this weekend, weather / wife permitting and I'll see how much power she's got (I mean the Wellington).

Regards

Robert

The power of your wife is your problem, just as mine. Looking at your earlier content,I would be surprised if you haven't more than enough. Perhaps you can let me know if the plan is still available and maybe downloadable. You have really inspired me, Warboys, where I most often fly had Wellingtons, Oxfordshire and Lancs. Thanks again. Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Yes the plan is still available from Traplet Pubications, plan no: MW2369 priced at £15.75, the canopy and turrets are also available, CA2369CY priced at £6.18.

Just to let you know that Tony designed two aircraft at the same time the other being a Bronco plan No: MW2368 priced at £14.85 canopy CA2368CY priced at £6.18

dsc06576.jpg

Full size Bronco at Swansea Airshow earlier this year, I'd never seen one of these before boy can it be thrown about..

Hi All,

Now just to wet your taste buds when I have finished the Wellington and Catalina I already have my next build ready to hand, and as I said earlier it is another of Tony's designs, the Short Sunderland and what a great plan it is, a stable mate for my Short Stirling. this will keep me going for some time.

Now keep that in mind, I have an Airfix kit of the Sunderland and on the box lid artwork there is another aircraft featured in combat with the Sunderland and I've started thinking I could make that, after all I designed the Stirling from an Airfix kit so why not. The aircraft I'm skirting around is of course the FW 200 Condor around the 72" to 80" wingspan anyone interested?

Regards

Robert

Another brilliant build thread Robert, your Wellington really looks the part, I can't see that one not flying well. The Sunderland will be a great follow on to the Stirling, the only problem I have with it is that as I understand it Tony used the wing off his B17 for it and it doesn't look quite right to me. The Sunderland wing is slightly "swept back" and the nacelles toed outwards, very distinctive.

The Condor/Kurier is a great choice and another design that must fly well as a model. I don't think I'll be in a position to join you on it, but I'll follow it with interest. Might be an idea to build a Wildcat and paint it in the colours of the one that Winkle Brown used to shoot down a Condor in a head on attack!

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 27/10/2016 22:29:44

Hi All,

Whilst waiting for the decals, I have just run the motors and done a static thrust test and weighed the model the results are:

All up weight 49ozs or 3lbs 1oz. That's 7ozs over target.

Static Thrust: 2lbs.

Max Current Draw 14Amps.

Props: GWS 8 x 4 Standard Rotation and Opposite Rotation

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 29/10/2016 11:26:44

Hi All,

Decals have arrived and applied, they look great and thanks to Tim from Model Markings for producing them.

I have setup all of the controls, I had to make a guess as none of the throws are stated on the plans, so dual rates set to what I think is about right, low, and max throws, high, these being aileron 8mm each way, elevator 10mm each way and 15mm each way for the rudder on low rates, high rates are about double of the above.

I will do a photo shoot over the weekend and might even maiden her as well if I'm allowed out to play with my toys and weather permitting.

Regards

Robert