Scrap Box Wellington Bomber

Thanks Colin,

Yes, I do seem to be gathering a collection of bombers.

Hi All,

This morning, I awoke to a frosty start and clear blue skies and zero wind. I thought, today is the day for the maiden, in fact lets maiden a few. So I load up and took a look at a wind turbine in the distance which was motionless.

However, on getting closer to the patch and nearer to the wind turbine I noticed the blades had been feathered, but there was a slight breeze. On getting to the patch i was greeted by a solitary fellow modeller and a fairly stiff breeze about 15mph Northerly, not the best direction for our patch 90 degree cross wind, with gusts up to about 20+, well we waited for an hour but the conditions worsened and we called it a day.

So the maiden will have to wait for another day, all planes home in one piece.

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 06/11/2016 13:55:53

Hi All,

Went to the patch today with the Wellington

dsc09085.jpg

Take off attempt 1. Went off course as I gradually opened the throttle, as you can see there was a bit of standing water on the ground and having gone through a soggy bit I cut the throttle and...

Take off attempt 2. Bearing in mind the above I aligned the model up again but this time gave it full throttle to which she lept to the air and banked to the left, being only about 10 feet up I cut the throttle she levelled out and landed in the long grass. On getting to the model I noticed that both the undercarriage legs were pushed back and had detached the nacelle formers. So that was the end of that. I had thought that it was a weak point just relying on the glue of the stringers and wing underside.

So to the repair the damage and see if it can be strengthened up a bit.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

First of all Happy New Year.

Sorry for the long silence on this thread. Repairs to the u/c are completed, I had my suspicions that they might cause a problem. The Wellington is good to go, alas I am not, I too have had repairs to my shoulder and had an operation just before Christmas and not allowed to drive for about 8 weeks and in a brace for 4 of those 8 weeks.

Looking on the bright side 2 weeks have already passed, just so frustrating and interesting only have use of the one arm. I must admit I had a go on the simulator but had to put the tranny down after a couple on mins flying.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Happy New Year to you to and hope you're soon back to the flying field. I await your coming flight trials, the Wellington flew from our flying field at Warboys and so my interest. One came down in our village wiping out many soles, I made a large plaque to commemorate the sad losses when I had my Pottery business. On a brighter note get well soon and inspire me to build my own. Best regards.

Happy New Year to you to and hope you're soon back to the flying field. I await your coming flight trials, the Wellington flew from our flying field at Warboys and so my interest. One came down in our village wiping out many soles, I made a large plaque to commemorate the sad losses when I had my Pottery business. On a brighter note get well soon and inspire me to build my own. Best regards.

Thank you Colin,

I'm just itching to do something, just not being very good at be patient, told off yesterday by Dr for trying to do much. Still, wife is happy I can still use a hoover single handed. Finally on my own kids gone back to school and wife working peace and quiet at last.

Just going to order motors, esc's servos etc for my TN Sunderland which I intend to start next when I'm allowed to use my arm. Nothing like planning ahead and being prepared.

Regards

Robert

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Went flying today, first time since November. I had several flights with my Astro Hog to blow away the cobwebs then I decided to try the Wellington.

weather, light westerly and overcast with occasional gusts.

Checked her over flight battery in, range checks and carried out some fast taxiing down the strip, which was well waterlogged but she seemed to handle it well. So I lined her up once more gradually opened up the throttle and she was airbourne..............( I'd like to leave it there), but things got a bit hairy, I think the CoG was a bit too rearward, plus I had high rates on the elevator and rudder to help with the ground handling as she was tending to nose over with the lower rates, anyway whilst I was struggling with her a gust of wind caught the left wing and she cartwheeled in, ripping the wing away from the body, pushing a prop through the fuselage snapping a wing at the aileron and snapping one of the u/c leg mounts away from inside the nacelle. And that was just from picking up the pieces.

Later on I will remove the covering and see the extent of the damage, although the fuselage is an easy repair with the spars snapped, leading edge and trailing edge snapped I'm not too sure.

Photos to follow.

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert, Looks like you have some rebuilding to do. Over the years I have found getting straight to it means it gets done. It would be a shame to direct this project to the loft, we all know how this ends up. Anyway best of luck, it would be good to see you get her back in the air. Best regards Stuart

Hi All,

Sorry I forgot the crash photos

dsc09462.jpg

The co-pilot had a narrow escape with the prop smashing through the canopy and chewing sway at the fuselage.

dsc09463.jpg

dsc09464.jpg

I have opened up the wing and I think it is repairable.

My proposal is, with the spars I will add 2 ply braces stretching across two rib bays forming a box beam, the leading edge again a ply brace across two bays and with the trailing edge I'll cut out a section and re-new and finally I going to remove the caps to the ribs either side of the break and sheet across top and bottom.

As for the u/c I have yet to open up the nacelle, although I am tempted to remove and make a dolly they do seem very weak even with my last attempt to beefing them up.

Now for the good news

The fuselage is now repaired structurally just the covering and paint to do after a jolly good clean to get off all that mud.

I am getting tempted to build another but to beef it up a bit, especially the the formers which are only 1/16th balsa which have not been the best as far as durability has been concerned with this one as most broke with the impact and were a little tricky to repair especially deep down the fuselage without opening her up any more.

That's all for now

I'll put up some more photos of the wing etc over the weekend all being well, in dog house at present wife not speaking much something about not completing the cleaning by the time she got home from work, only had kitchen left to do. Do I get any thanks for what have done, no just criticised for what has not been done. Sorry just need to get that off my chest.

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

Wing structural repairs almost completed.

Once I got stuck in to it, it was straight forward really.

dsc09469.jpg

This is my attic workshop where most repairs are carried out. Due to height restrictions I have to stoop so work tends to be for short periods.

dsc09465.jpg

opening up the covering and this what greeted me

dsc09466.jpg

With the u/c, although I beefed up behind the former, this time it pushed forwards

dsc09467.jpg

Leading edge glued back together and 1/16th ply brace glued behind it spreading across two bays. The top spar (bottom) was glued back together. The bottom spar piece missing so doubled up above then 1/16th ply brace fitted across 3 bays. Trailing edge cut away.

dsc09468.jpg

U/C repaired by gluing block between bulkhead and former. I repeated this on the other nacelle as well.

dsc09470.jpg

Underside fully sheeted across repair.

That is far as I have got today

Next I'll sheet the top surface and sand both and repair the covering.

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert.

Sorry to see the post crash damage but reading the rest of the thread, looks like it will soon be flying again

Looking at your pics of 11th Nov 16 posted further up the thread is it Bryn Bach Park? If it is I'm looking at joining. Not flown there yet but I visited the field around Nov and it was a bit water logged.

Hopefully meet you up there some time.

All the best

Keith