Astro Hog electric

jonryan

I've bought an original (stab under fuz) Hog, and am planning to electrify it. Bare weight is 7.4lb/3.4 kg. Span is 72", area 864 sq in. The result I've come up with suggests a Turnigy 2450-500 + 6s 3,000 lipo + 14 x 10 prop should work.

Am I close?

It came fitted with an OS la46, which I'll be selling on if anyone is interested. No idea what it's worth! 

Edited By jonryan on 01/10/2016 18:33:54

Advert

Thanks Percy.

The chap I bought the Hog from said it flew well on the 46. He's a long-time modeller cutting back because he's getting on a bit. Perhaps he wanted a more gentle performance?

The figures for the electric conversion came via Motocalc, which I understand isn't exactly definitive, and, as a rookie (the Hog is intended to be my first low-winger when I've got the hang of a high-wing trainer) I've put it up here to tap into the hive mind.

I'm planning to fly my quarter scale Mew Gull (around 10 lb ready to fly, hopefully less) with an Emax GT 4030-06 with a 16x8 prop on 6S and drawing up to 60 amps, so I guess you're in the right area but perhaps 10" pitch might be a bit coarse.

Choosing a suitable motor is a bit of a black art, mainly because they're so flexible. Weight won't be a problem so a more powerful (and heavier) motor can by fitted and 'tamed' if necessary with a smaller prop. In fact expect to fit the battery right up as far forward as possible.

Geoff

Posted by Percy Verance on 02/10/2016 10:35:39:

Wow, the Hog must really have struggled with that .46LA. It's the sort of engine you'd see on the front of a 5 pound trainer, not a 7 1/2 pound Astro Hog. Like I said, I don't know how he kept it in the air.

The original Astro Hog flew with a KB 35 up front in 1957. The KB 35 was basicaly a C/L stunt engine with an open venturi. It's peak power was about 0.55bhp (410 Watts) using a 10x6. The engine in the Astro Hog used a 12 x 4 prop and had a Bramco throttle fitted which would restrict it's intake. Max power was probably in the region of 0.4 - 0.5 bhp (300 - 370 Watts), an OS46LA should be able to deliver between 150 - 200% of that.