help during my 1st ever nitro plane build

Chris gregg

Chris, Dont panic! Weve all had to start somewhere and its all the learning stages which bring the satisfaction when it all comes together and flies. We all makemistakes as well, again its part of the learning curve and at nearly 68 I'm still learning - ive just started with petrol engines and more learning! Happy to help you with a trainer and engine whatever make

Geoff

Advert

Chris, Any new project can appear daunting if you have not tackled anything like it before!

While you should keep an overview of the project in your head, you need to break it down into small tasks, each of which you feel you can achieve in one session. If that task completes with no problems, prepare the items for the next but think carefully about cramming another one in because that is where cock-ups lie! you will use the next session righting your last whoopsie.

Take satisfaction from each task correctly completed. Look forward too much and the journey seems too long and disheartening. If at the end of the session you can think to yourself "that's the aileron servos in, tomorrow I'll do the linkages for them" you will enjoy the build more and it will be finished almost before you know it.

Who knows, may be in a year or two you'll be thinking "perhaps I'm ready for a full kit build" or "there's a plan build I fancy having a go at".

Remember, even the coolest scratchbuilders started at the bottom.

Shaunie.

I just had a look at the manual myself and it is a very labour intensive build compared to other basic trainers. That said, it is not impossible and if you take each stage one at a time you will be ok. If in doubt you could even post photos of every stage to get advice before you do any actual work.

All of that said, someone in person would be able to show you in minutes what could take 3 days worth of conversation on the forum. This is why joining a club is so important.

Another alternative would be a different model with a slightly easier build as this is a bit more than i would really expect to see from an entry level training model.

Anything but the Wot trainer would be my choice. Horrible things to fly and unfortunately 3 of the last few people I have been teaching chose them so it wasn't just one badly assembled example.

The fact you have to cut away the side of the fuse in the engine bay area to allow access for a standard 40 size two stroke needle valve shows the lack of research that went into its design.

Posted by Justin K. on 18/10/2016 12:05:17:

Anything but the Wot trainer would be my choice. Horrible things to fly and unfortunately 3 of the last few people I have been teaching chose them so it wasn't just one badly assembled example.

The fact you have to cut away the side of the fuse in the engine bay area to allow access for a standard 40 size two stroke needle valve shows the lack of research that went into its design.

c/g is normally the issue with the wot. They tend to end up really nose heavy even with light ish engines. But, as its discontinued anyway its not an issue now