Which battery type?

I agree with all the above, especially about being unable to help some people

However,  I do still think that these AA VPs ( with which I am not familiar ) should be able to do better than they did in your simple test - this R6 pack of mine is at least 3 years old, and has had quite a hard life in the hands of its previous owner who was, frankly, a bit of a philistine when it comes to batteries...I know he only ever charged them in a NiCD charger for instance!

I did warn of the complacency of simply fitting a 6v battery in a model and thinking you were now bulletproof - see the results of such a discussion with Graham Ashby in the latest magazine - under his heli column

It is all about capacity - and as you rightly say the ability to be able to deliver that capacity at the rate we want. Before I converted all my stuff to LiPo, I had a 3000 4 cell pack in my IC Spitfire ( 6 servos and some auxillary electrics ) and would often see the onboard monitor dipping into the red after just a few minutes. I dont remeber the pack numbering but it was " a bit larger than an AA".  I fitted a subC 3300 cell pack and the problem of course went away, however the weight gain was unacceptable and that prompted me to exchange my very last model over to Lithium. I shall probably stick with the nickels in the slipstream wing however, due to its size and desisn, and treatment! The rocks are pretty hard here on the Orme !

Advert

OK, I finally got round to checking out my VP2600 four cell packs.

Start voltage (off load)* 5.58V

After 10min at 1A discharge 5.11V

After 10min at 2A discharge 4.89V

After 10min at 3A discharge 4.59V

* Rapidly dropped to 5.32V

All voltages checked with a calibrated DVM.

Overall not to shabby! After charging these packs will spend the night in the fridge and I will check out the cold discharge properties.

My measurements were on a pro-peak charger so not sure how accurate it was but all batteries were tested on the same.

Rob I note you said your cells were 2600's, are these the newer instant packs?.

Maybe I was just unlucky and got some from a bad batch, but in a low ma application they would be fine and would give almost 2400 mah.

But it does show that it's worth checking your batteries for peace of mind, how many fliers just buy packs, stick them on their Radio set supplied wall charger and leave it at that.

PS Rob tests done in Gloucestershire, now I know summer has not been briliant but it's not that cold

"Rob I note you said your cells were 2600's, are these the newer instant packs?."

No just regular NiMH, I ordered 2400mAh but Component-Shop sent 2600mAh.

"Maybe I was just unlucky and got some from a bad batch, but in a low ma application they would be fine and would give almost 2400 mah. "

It might be worth checking the plugs for a high resistance joint.

" how many fliers just buy packs, stick them on their Radio set supplied wall charger and leave it at that."

Me! up untill now.

"PS Rob tests done in Gloucestershire, now I know summer has not been briliant but it's not that cold"

Chris mentioned that these cell give poor performance in the cold, so I will check that and hopefully restore my faith in these cells!

• 1 month later...