Examiners...Age Group

How old are your clubs examiners ? if it's not rude to ask. (poll Beth ?)

We had a couple of younger ones come through but one discovered work/women and the other moved to another club, bringing some more through's not proving easy, i think it's good for the club if the younger ones get involved in things, they've plenty energy and enthusiasm, and if they're good enough..they're old enough.

No criticism of older examiners here by the way.wink

John

Advert

Well until very recently the situation was: one well into his 70's, one just entered his 70's,and one in his 50's.

But,...we are literally in the process of getting a new examiner who is in his 30's - so step in a good direction there. Not that the other chaps aren't excellent at the job, but as you say John its good to see younger blood coming through and getting involved.

BEB

More important than just age is whether you Examiners keep up to date with the changes in the Achievement Scheme schedules. How many are aware that there is an Achievement Scheme website which contains downloads for all the tests. The tests are meant to be conducted to each year's guidance notes (and they do carry the year on the front cover) yet I still hear strange stories of the odd Examiner requiring the cross over for the fig 8 to be at 45 degrees! That went out years ago. You can find the AS website here

Percy, the issue isn't absolute accuracy, it is flying the correct manoeuvre. A Fig 8 with 45 degree cross over is not what the schedule seeks. The Fig 8 is shown as 2 circles touching i.e. the aircraft must be heading at 90 degrees to the entry direction (give or take) but 45 deg is just wrong.

The requirement is also for the 2 rolls to be centred and I've seen folk commence the rolls as they pass centre. Again, that's just the wrong manoeuvre and poor teaching/examining to allow such gross errors through. This is, after all, a National Standard and not something for Club Examiners to make up their own minds upon.

What Club Examiners have to do is to decide if the pilot has displayed the requisite safety processes, ability to fly the required manoeuvres to an acceptable standard and to know enough about Air Law and display general aeromodelling knowledge through the Q & A bit.

The reason I mention where the current standards on Achievement Schemes are to found is that I have known pilots turn up for tests without knowing what is required or who are using what is contained in an old BMFA Handbook. So, if you are going to take or administer an Achievement Scheme Test, do download the current year's guidance notes. At least you won't be wasting your time in teaching or examining to wrong standards.

No, it is not the same policy. It might be very similar, but some aspects of the BMFA policy are unique due to the fact that the BMFA pays out directly on all claims under a threshold without even passing these on to the insurer, thus enabling a much faster turn-round of these. BMFA is also the only one that provides committee and landlord cover, plus club equipment for no additional charge to all affiliated clubs.

Incidentally, how much do you think that you pay for your insurance through the BMFA?

You can be in both organisations Percy, but of course you can choose one, both or or neither.

I'm in my mid thirties and keep meaning to sort out being put forward for the examiners test but never get around to it. We have one chap in his twenties and one in his late 40's and one in his 70's. We rarely see any of them.

One of the main criteria (other than the obvious) we use to appoint examiners is availability. This, of course, favours retirees as they are more likely to be regular attenders at the field or available at short notice. Consequently our examiners are late 50s to just turned 70 (although the 70 year old plays table tennis competitively...and isn't appointed by the club as he is an Area Chief Examiner).