B Test Fixed Wing Power

Posted by iqon on 10/11/2016 17:02:15:
Posted by john stones 1 on 10/11/2016 16:57:41:

No problem Gary, get her voice back and B's in the bag wink

B in the bag, I thought they were kept in jam jars

No, mainly in bonnets on this forum! wink

...and I'm certainly in full agreement with BEB above.

Edited By Martin Harris on 10/11/2016 23:07:03

Advert

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 10/11/2016 19:35:20:

Doing two rolls,

do you perform the two rolls as one manuover ? easy.

Or do you pause at the centre before performing the second maneuver? harder

Hi Tom, have you read the Guidance Notes for Examiners (and therefore Candidates) for the B? If not, you might like to download them from the BMFA website here. While there is specific guidance on which way to carry out the stall turn, there is nothing about which way you should roll.

Some years ago I read that full size display pilots always rolled towards the crowd as the aircraft presented better that way. That was the way I rolled for my B and neither examiner objected.

I'm with Matty B on this one. You can go wrong just as easily whichever way you roll. If the Guidance Notes for Examiners is silent on which way you roll that's what you take. Anything else is second guessing what the text says and is down, IMHO, to your own personal view. Judging the B should not be down to your own personal view but rather the result of careful reading of the Guidance Notes and attending a workshop to see what the required standard is in flying.

When I did my B the examiners stated beforehand which direction they wanted the rolls done (rolling 'away' from the flightline.)

Whether or not the direction is specifically mentioned in the guidance notes I certainly don't have a problem with it. If I'd rolled in the "wrong" direction I'd have expected to be either failed or asked to repeat the manoeuvre in the requested direction. And if anyone turns up for a B test and isn't able to roll in both directions (ie. away from, or towards, the flightline from both ends) then I'd question whether they were ready for the test.

John you have to roll in both directions for the B anyway. I think it's immaterial whether you roll towards or away from the pilot's position for the reason MattyB has stated. Why would an Examiner ask you to do something that is not in specified in the Guidance Notes for Examiners? Perhaps because some have not read them?