Why not build a PSS glider?

Mark Kettle 1

Why not build a Power Scale Soaring glider this winter or spring time?

A lot of modellers did just that this year and if your a reader of this month's RCME magazine -December 2016 - on the page's 34 to 38 you'll read and see a report by Simon Cocker with the results of their efforts

This year 2016 has seen the 30th Anniversary of the PSSA, meaning that formation was back in 1986 and to recognise this important milestone a series of events was held throughout the season.

The years main meeting was a A-4 Mass Build Event, run on Sunday 11th September and flown in booming lift on the Great Ormes southerly slope with winds ranging from 20-35mph!

23 Skyhawks were present on that day, 19 of which were flown with prizes being awarded for Best PSSA Newcomer, Most Innovative A-4 Build and Best Finished A-4. It was a great event for those who took part and there was over 100 PSS models on site and attendance equal to the model count.

The A4's flying that day are shown in this video by John Hay, it had a 'Top Gun' feel to it.

PSS is all about building and flying scale model gliders of full sized powered jet, rocket or piston powered aircraft. Many plans or ready made kits are available to enable any aero modeller to construct and fly a scale slope soarer based full sized aircraft and this is demonstrated by the vast array and diversity of model designs seen at the slopes and soaring from them over the years*. *see the gallery section on the pssa online site.

In this video 3 popular jets are flown in the PSS style.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 24/11/2016 12:40:23

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 24/11/2016 12:41:35

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 24/11/2016 12:42:08

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 24/11/2016 12:49:16

Links to PSS online, plans, build blogs for models in the above video:

Gnat

**LINK**

**LINK**

A4 Skyhawk 

**LINK**

**LINK**

Vampire

**LINK**

PSSA online and activity found from this link:

**LINK**

http://www.pssaonline.co.uk/main-pages/join.htm

Any questions from newcomers or to flying PSS models from the slopes, just ask.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 24/11/2016 12:56:41

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 24/11/2016 13:10:41

Thanks Mark - youre a busy boy these days promoting the PSSA

I should point out that the Vampire of mine seen in the videos is indeed a durafly model from HK, but after flying it as a powered model a few times I decided it would suit the slope better, so I stripped out pretty much everything including the motor and fan landing gear etc so she ended up a very lightweight machine. It necessitated some nose weight to balance so I used a large 4s 3000m/a lipo pack and ubec for radio power instead of lead. Thereforte, if you fancy this as a sloper, you DONT need the powerplant and you may be able to find a bare airframe a lot cheaper. I see the price has increased a LOT since I bought mine at the beginning of this year ;-(

I have since fitted a sound system into it which works very well in a PSS model, and the extra weight has been no bother at all.

You don't have to build a PSS model if you don't want to/can't either. That scale model that's under powered, stuffed motor, burnt out EDF? Just take the motor out, re-balance it and throw it off a cliff!

My first year with the PSSA and I've really enjoyed it, even the windless days!

You'll meet some real nutters on the slopes though! wink