Newbie and foam question

Brian Dorricott 1

Hi names Brian in Manchester

I have bought an apprentice 15e as a complete beginner but have already got a small jagged dent in the foam wing , quick look around the net suggests " light weight speckling filler " never heard of this will it fill a little dent in the foam ? Am i better putting a small patch over ?

Looking to join a local club and get some tution in the New Year and fly it then so any pointers appreciated

Brian D

Advert

Hi Brian,

Welcome to the forum! Plenty of sound advice willingly given by the good folk here as anyone entering the hobby has so much to learn, so don't hesitate when it comes to asking questions - remember, there's no such thing as a daft question....smile

Foamies make ideal trainers as inevitably there will be the odd ding here and there and much of the time it will be cosmetic, rather than structural, damage. Before you consider filling any dents, gouges etc, remember that repairs add weight - and generally speaking, that's not a good thing. The mantra should be 'Add lightness!'smile p

A useful trick with dented foam is to boil a kettle and pour some very hot water over the damaged area - more often than not the foam, which has been compressed will expand and refill the void, or much of it, leaving much less volume to fill.

There are videos showing the technique on YT etc...thumbs up

Pete

Brian,

I think speckle is an American term or product. In B&Q you can find polycell polyfilla one fill light weight filla. You know you have found the right one because when you pick it up the pot feels empty.

However, I wouldn't bother. The foam will bend and move so the filler will crack out again and will add weight. Use the hot water trick Pete describes or tape over small tears in the foam. If it's a small ding just live with it. Trainers should have that well used look.

Good luck with the hobby. Joining a club is the way to go. Where abouts are you?

Yes - I'd agree with the other guys Brian - most "dings" like this in foam simply aren't worth the effort to fill them! The hot water trick mentioned by Pete above works well - if the dent is annoying your sense of aesthetics!

Best wishes for lots of flights with the A15 - get yourself to a club if you can, a good instructor can make all the difference in the world to how quickly you will learn and how confidient a pilot you will become!

BEB

• 2 weeks later...