Original Prusa i3 Mk 2 kit

Trevor Rushton

Trevor,

I finished the build tonight and tried a quick power up. The LCD powers up and tells me the printer needs calibrating and if I press the knob I get to the main menu, so far so good. When i turn the knob to move around the menus I just get more and more black squares across the screen. I think the ribbon cables must be plugged into the rambo incorrectly. I have them with the red cable at the top, like the manual shows, but the connectors are reversed vs the photos. I wonder if the red cable should be at the bottom.

Advert

Hi Dave

That's odd; its not helped by the orientation of the photos but I installed mine per the photo - my connectors were not reversed. Have you got the single and double lined ribbons in the right sockets? the red tapes should be facing toward the usb port, the single lined cable is nearest the edge of the board

Mine is printing at the moment so I can't check it.

Dave I hope that it goes well today.

I am very happy with print quality so far. I am finding that a bit of Pritt is preferable on the bed despite the heating so I will be interested to see how you get on; perhaps I need to adjust the z a fraction more. The printed filament is so small I don't know how you can see the shape of it and compare it with the profiles in the pictures. At present, and if Pritt works its not a hardship.

Trevor,

I ran the calibration g code late on last night. I agree with you about the difficulty in using the filament shape as a guide for z-adjustment, you need a microscope to do what the manual suggests. I just tweaked it down until I the corners to stick and then a bit more. I suspect this will need further tweaks.

I will try the Prusa logo tonight.

Cheers
David

Trevor,

I managed to print out the Prussa logo test piece tonight and the tree frog is currently printing and around 60% complete.

I had the same issues as you in getting the first layers to stick, I tried the z-adjust but this did not solve my issue so I used the pritt stick like you. I suspect with a bit more experimentation this can be resolved, some forum posts suggest increasing the bed temperature to fix. There is much to learn, but that is part of the challenge.

I stuggled to get the logo off the bed, I let it cool but not fully and then got it off with a scraper. I will leave the frog to cool overnight, before trying. I suspect I have too much z-adjust as the initial layer of filament used to purge the nozzle, before printing the logo, is very flat and will clean off so far. Could be the combination of z-adjust plus pritt stick has made the first layer too sticky.

Cheers
David

Edited By Delta Foxtrot on 02/03/2017 22:32:45

Edited By Delta Foxtrot on 02/03/2017 22:33:19

Dear David

Jolly good; I am not too fussed about the Pritt, but I had a similar problem removing my print from the bed. The boss lent me a thin blade that she had bought from Metal Clay Limited (pro cutting blades) - there are three blades in the pack but the thin one worked really well - see here

Instrument panel for my Avia coming up next!

Trevor,

The frog printed, I left it on the bed overnight to let it cool and it came away fine this morning, I just held it by the body and pulled it off without too much force. I think I backed off a little on the z-adjust after the logo print which may have helped as perhaps letting the bed cool probably did. A bit more experimenting here to be done.

Like you, I am impressed by the detail and quality of the tree frog test piece. The smoothness of the print is amazing.

All in all a satisfying experience. I did enjoy the build and on the whole it went smoothly with just a few minor issues, these have generally been good learning points anyway. I am glad I bought the machine, the quality is very good.

Thanks for the info

David

Dave, glad it is meeting expectation. I tried the bottle opener today and was very satisfied with that; slide a penny in as the blade and it works fine.

However, a few issues today - tried printing my Avia Instrument panel and had a couple of aborted attempts; the first one I tried without the printed brim; it curled and so I abandoned it and spent a lot of time cleaning the bed - stupidly managed to gouge a small fingernail sized chunk out of the smooth surface. Moral of that is take great care with a scraper. I think I can smooth it off with a filling of epoxy resin. After a couple further attempts and some more tweaking of the z axis I managed to get the zig zag pattern to work without Pritt. 2 hours into the print and the house power tripped out - grrr! back to the start again!

I made up a small set of switches for the instrument panel - a bank of 3 on a base plate. In retrospect they were a bit too small and did not print very well, They were about 3 mm high and 1mm in diameter - I think it was a bit ambitious but might do better if they were part of a larger print. That's the problem with Cad - you cant resist drawing something in fine detail - dome headed panel screws circa 0.5mm dia was a bit silly!

Managed to break one of the spool support arms as well - so all in all not a very successful day. However, its all down to operator error and lack of experience. I will draw up a replacement spool arm - any excuse for printing things! The latest iteration of the instrument panel has 2 hours to go but is looking good thus far.

One lesson taken the hard way - if you do calibrate the z axis do take it right to the top; I cheated (because I had just done it a few moments previously) and only ran it up half way. Not a good plan - it wants to go past the bed when it travels down again so I ended up having to recalibrate the whole thing again. No damage done but it was pressing down quite hard on the board.

I like the look of that radial engine Mal - I could do with something like that on my RBC Havard.

Edited By Trevor Rushton on 05/03/2017 20:27:37

Trevor,

Sorry to hear you had a frustrating day, but you learn from these experiences.

I too had the foot on the spool holder break off. I glued it back on and adjusted the fit with a file, works fine but there are better solutions on thingiverse I am sure.

I am working backwards up the design chain by getting used to slic3r prior to getting back to Freecad and starting some designs. Goal for the week is to join up all of these bits of the process.

Hope you get more joy soon.

Thanks Mal!
I also spotted the first one on TV. I have downloaded it and will scale and print it to see how it comes out. It is a good oportunity to learn about printing with support and to undetstand the slic3r settings. This should be a useful exercise even if I wind up designing my own.

I had a go at printing the model in the first file, scaled down to 40% to suit my model. It was printed with the cylinders vertical with a mass of support material which took a while to remove. The resulting print is not bad, certainly useable, but I think that there must be a better way of printing this, perhaps a better print orientation to minimise supports and better support print settings to aid removal. Being new to this, and this being the first print I have done requiring support material, I am sure I am missing some tricks.

If I design a dummy engine similar to this flat four I would be tempted to split the cylinders in half, to remove the need for supports, and glue the parts together.

Any advice on this would be welcome.

regards

David

Edited By Delta Foxtrot on 08/03/2017 12:22:13

David

Not sure I can give any advice but how about slicing it through the middle to that the cut face can lay flat - print 2 sides and join them? Split some of the other parts to make them easier to fit rather than trying to print them in one.?

I printed some large parts in "normal" mode today; still took 5.5 hours each but still pleased with the result; more grainy but for these parts (feet for a display board) it does not matter.

Not having to use Pritt at all now, but I am printing with a brim to help adhesion.

Trevor