Original Prusa i3 Mk 2 kit

Trevor Rushton

Happy New Year everyone.

Following Colin's lead on the Wanhao Duplicator I thought a thread on this machine might be of interest. After months of dithering my index finger finally made contact with the buy button and for better or worse I hope to take delivery in about 7 weeks. I confess that I have no idea how I'm going to get on with it - my 3d cad skills are virtually non-existent but I keep thinking of things to make and I shall enjoy the challenge.

The kit version is quite a bit cheaper than the ready built machine, but I was attracted to what appears to be a well specified kit if a bit toppy in pricing terms. Assembly seems to be well documented and after having built a Stepcraft CNC cutter I don't think it will pose too many problems. Stepcraft do a 3d printing add-on but that is quite expensive and I could not find very much to describe the quality of the print.

I'd be interested to hear of any experiences whether good bad or indifferent.

Thanks Ian and Colin

The P-38 from 3d Lab Print looks rather fun - but that would be a serious project - I will start with a drag knife for the Stepcraft - there are a few designs out there.

Colin, I am looking forward to seeing how you get on; for me the challenge looks to be 3d cad. I bought TurboCad a year or so ago and whilst its very capable (in the right hands) I have struggled with it. I have just tried Tinkercad but I think the answer is to have a definite project in mind and then find out how to do it.

Looks expensive for what you get. Take a look at technology outlet where you can buy a similar printer for about a third of the price and get it early next week. Helpful knowlagabe people as well. Or if that's your budget take a look at the Wanhao D4S or possibly a Flashforge.

I have had the Wanhao for about a year now never missed a beat. Duel extruders heated bed and fully enclosed, so you can print most materials.

Down load makerbot desktop (free) search thingyverse straight from makerbot download it to an SD card and print, simples.

I have an original copy of Solid works, all paid for, but rarely use it as there is that much out there.

My advice for what it's worth cancel your order and take a look at technology outlet, and they keep spares in stock, and are also available from a few places in the UK.

Edited By Stephen Smith 14 on 30/12/2016 22:07:02

Thanks for your post Stephen - I did spend quite a bit of time looking round before selecting the Prusa - I thought that that would suit my needs (or at least what I thought my needs were!) I have had a look at Technology Outlet and I must say it looks tempting but I think I will stick with my decision.

Just downloaded Makerbot Desktop - looks interesting, thanks for the tip.

Posted by Tony Bennett on 05/01/2017 19:23:32:

I have just bought the the Anet 8 3D printer.

cheap as chips, just got to build it and try to work out how to use the flipping thing. wink

Tony B

Unless I'm mistaken Tony, your printer is based on the Prusa i3 so you might find much in common on this thread.

delta

dont know what you know about this but this is how it works - there are two parts to this (stl files & gcode files), there is the modelling software which you create or download your project (stl files), then you load it into the printer software "Cura" (supplied or downloaded).

the modelling software did not come with my printer but I use tinkercad (free download) for basic stuff and autocad for more advanced

once you have created the file (gcode files)for the printer in cura you put it on a mini SD card and insert it into the printer then play about with the hotbed & extruder settings - then make a cupof tea and wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. you will find loads of stuff ready for printing on the net

p.p.s you can download tinkercad & cura to practice without having a printer

its fun and if I can do it anyone can !!!!!

Edited By oldgit on 05/01/2017 21:18:20

David, I am pleased to hear that you are impressed with the Prusa- I have to wait until early Feb for mine.

I am trying to work with TurboCad to prepare a design for a magnetic fuselage jig - a bit like the Slec one but with magnets rather than bolts. It's a very simple design but whilst I am fine with 2d; I am finding 3 d a challenge. I tried Tinkercad but it feels as though I am giving in on the more sophisticated programme and need to persevere.

I have used TurboCad for preparing files for my Stepcraft, but trying to get all of the vectors seems to be a challenge - you can draw the object but the Cut 2d programme does not recognise all of the lines and it can take a long time to get them sorted out. I assume that when working in 3d the same rules apply?

Trevor

OOps sorry - last post should have been in response to Onetenor. Tony, that Anet printer looks a real snip - not sure how much you are paying but Gearbest have them for £136 as a kit. Can't really argue with that! Will be very interested to see how it compares with the original Prusa kit. I have seen some reviews of a print of a 20mm test cube so perhaps we could use something like that and post photos accordingly.

Trevor

Ordered mine. I have been thinking about this off and on for a while, a bit like standing on the diving platform and thinking should I / shouldn't I, so I finally took the plunge. I am sure that I will find a lot of uses for this once mastered.

cheers

Dave

Edited By Delta Foxtrot on 06/01/2017 12:39:24

Delta Foxtrot - have you gone for an Original Prusa or a clone version (if that's the right term)? Like you I dithered for a long time. The Boss twigged I'd gone for it when she realised that "I could print one of those" became the standard answer to everything that had broken. It won't happen of course, but I am sure that I shall have lots of fum trying to coax something out of it.

Trevor

Trevor I bought the one linked by this in your original post i.e. the original Prusa i3 MK 3 machine. The reviews I read were very good and I prefer quality to saving a few quid so I am hoping that it will be as good as I hope it is. I see this as an oportunity to get into CAD and 3D design as well as being able to make loads of stuff, but I find myself thinking about more and more things that I could make.