Original Prusa i3 Mk 2 kit

Trevor Rushton

According to the website I will have to wait until the end of Feb to take delivery of my Prusa MK2 kit, but I that is not a problem as it gives me time to learn CAD.

I tried TinkerCAD and it is indeed very simple to use and I can image that this will be very good for making a lot of simple parts.

I have also down loaded FreeCAD and so far I am quite impressed by this. It comes with tutorials and there are a lot of YT videos to help complete CAD novices, like myself, to get going. It also runs reasonably well on my ageing laptop.

Gathering some experience with CAD and spending time thinking is producing loads of ideas on what I can make with this...

It will be very useful to print out simple things like control horns if I do not have any suitable in stock, for example, without having to incur P&P charges for mail order.

I can image making lots of new fixtures for my magnetic building board.

Bespoke leading edge profile sanding tools.

the list goes on and on.

One limitation may be the time take to print stuff out. I was not aware that it can take several hours, but I guess patience is a virtue and I do not have to hang around watching it all the time.

Haha DF, your hooked already!

Think I'll have to have a look at both of the programmes you mention.

Fear not regarding printing time, it's all relative, a simple little horn might only take10-15 minutes, I'm guessing you probably couldn't nip to your LMS and get one quicker. A whole aeroplane will take some time longer.

Same as any build really, size and complexity takes longer.

Posted by Ian Jones on 12/01/2017 12:45:01:

Haha DF, your hooked already!

Think I'll have to have a look at both of the programmes you mention.

Fear not regarding printing time, it's all relative, a simple little horn might only take10-15 minutes, I'm guessing you probably couldn't nip to your LMS and get one quicker. A whole aeroplane will take some time longer.

Same as any build really, size and complexity takes longer.

I think you are right I have thought about little else in my spare time. I am sure that the printing time will not be a big issue for small parts.

Posted by Andy Meade on 12/01/2017 13:13:07:

Checkout the workshop / tools area on thingiverse.com - there's about 50 project I want to print there blush

It is great to have a resource of useful readily available objects to print out, I will certainly have a good look.. I am keen to learn how to design my own stuff as well using CAD so there is the best of both worlds.

I'll be very interested to see how you get on Tony.

DF I see you use a magnetic building board as I do. I have designed a couple of very simple brackets as as starter using Turbocad. These I have saved as STL files and loaded into Cura - this looks easy to set up up; the programme sliced the brackets without prompting and looks as though its ready to go - just need the printer now!

The brackets are 100mm versions and will be fitted with 10mm magnets. The next step will be to design some adjustable ones. I'd not be without the magnetic board now; these bracket or jig designs are more about learning the drawing method; its beginning to click but is essentially a trial and error process. I am sure that Sketchup would be easier for something like these, but if I can master a more complicated programme it should be more versatile.

One thing that is puzzling me at the moment is how to edit 3d objects. If for example I draw a rectangle in 2d its easy to edit and say cut a corner off. But if I have extruded the rectangle into a solid I can't use the same process.

The other thing is in Cura - if I open the file the component is positioned automatically; I have not found how for example to up end it - can someone tell me if it automatically selects the most appropriate orientation?

The simple block type bracket is below - 14hrs is a result of the highest resolution setting, but I like the way it tells you.

screenhunter_74 jan. 14 12.27.jpg - screenhunter_75 jan. 14 12.29.jpg

Trevor,

I like the brackets and it sounds like we are thinking along similar lines. I bought some wooden magnetic blocks at the LMA event at Cosford last year and have started to use them on my latest build. Here is a photo showing my adjustable 2-rod wing jig system with the magnets at work. I have developed this a little more since the photo, but I am sure you get the idea.

I like to explore better ways of doing things whilst building and this approach is working well for me. The steel sheet slides in on top of boards of various heights to accommodate different wing rib depths, but larger and perhaps adjustable blocks would give even more flexibility. I can see this concept developing over time.20161227_180519.jpg

As for your question about modifying extruded parts in 3D CAD... I have only a weeks worth of experience in trying to learn CAD through the FreeCAD resources, but it is fairly easy to do what you describe in that software. There are a number of ways to do it, one way is to:

1. sketch the end view of the part in 2D
  2. PAD (extrude) into 3D
  3. select the face you want to draw the cut out on and draw a new sketch with constraints set.
  4. Pocket the shape right through (or partially through the original 3D shape.

Another approach is to create a second 3D shape to model the cut out you want and place this on your extrusion and then use it to create a cut.

Anyway as I said I am not expert, but I am finding FreeCAD fairly easy to learn as there are some nice tutorials on the website. I use the forum last night to understand how to mesh up models and the expert was really fast and helpful in solving my problems. I am sure that TurboCAD must be able to do similar things.

I look forward to sharing our experiences on this thread, I am sure we will get a lot of benefit from sparking ideas of each other.

cheers

DF

Trevor,

This is an example from the FreeCAD tutorials. This shape starts of as a 2D stetch of a triangle with the top bit cut off ( the end view). It is then extruded into 3D and all of the other features are then added by additional sketches on the back face that are pocketed through or padded onto the original shape. I found this a great lesson which will allow me to create loads of stuff with relatively little experience.

capture.jpg

Edited By Delta Foxtrot on 14/01/2017 13:38:53

Edited By Delta Foxtrot on 14/01/2017 13:39:40

Sorry for my lack of feedback guys...I see the emails but get little time to respond.

The Prusa kit is superb, it gives high quality prints and is easy to use. HOWEVER... ours (it is my three sons unit really) has developed a fault in that it has a blocked head and so will not feed filament. There is no real understanding out there as to why this happens - I assume it is when certain tolerances come together in one kit). I know the direct cause, but not the reasons! There is a fix, but it's not straightforward. That said, its not a fault unique to Prusa, not by a long way. Its also part of the learning curve - one of the exciting things about 3d printing is that it is all unknown territory...I liken it to the very early days of pc printers...oh how we spent a good half hour waiting for her unclothed form to appear ha ha...only for the paper to jam and the ink to smudge!!!

I cant fix it because my lads have asked me not to - its their printer and they want to do it all, so it comes after school and wont get touched for a week or two.

When it prints it prints superb stuff and we are all very excited about RC parts and aircraft. No doubt about it, the 3D printer has a place in the workshop if not the home.

David

Final bit for today.

add the z axis stepper motors, guide rods and screw rods.

the guides are abs and nicely made.

the hard part is hammering the horizontal guide rods into the abs as they are a very tight fit.

make sure you fit the slide bushes before you hammer them home as they will not come out again without breaking the mounts.

That's it for tonight, back on it tomorrow.

Tony B

well it is built and working.

only printed the test piece so far, but we managed it on the second try.

first try and the bed was too low and it did not stick well.

raised the bed by a fraction and it printed well.

ok the supplied cooling nozzle fell off and will need replacing, but it printed fine without it.

i am now printing a new fan nozzle to replace the supplied one.

so far it all is working well with no major problems to write about.

fingers crossed for future use.

Tony B