3D print jawdropper

rcaddict

Advert

Presumabley these OG?

Nice thing about 3D prining them is that you can modify the size and design to your hearts content.

For example you might want to modify the springing to the type used on the Snowbird skis (Dubro and expensive) and Quanum ones Percy mentioned. I have the Snowbird skis and the springing is very effective. Another option is to add a guide rail (or 2?) underneath each ski, these help to the model on course and in the case of a steerable trike undercarriage, easily steerable.

Edit:

Just had another look on Thingiverse and there is indeed a design incorporating some of the modifications I mentioned above. This model does not need the front of the skis shaping afetr printing either, not sure why the other design was printed flat. If you want a look it's here.

Edited By Ian Jones on 12/01/2017 11:46:37

Edited By Ian Jones on 12/01/2017 11:53:36

Posted by Ian Jones on 12/01/2017 11:45:43:

Presumabley these OG?

Nice thing about 3D prining them is that you can modify the size and design to your hearts content.

For example you might want to modify the springing to the type used on the Snowbird skis (Dubro and expensive) and Quanum ones Percy mentioned. I have the Snowbird skis and the springing is very effective. Another option is to add a guide rail (or 2?) underneath each ski, these help to the model on course and in the case of a steerable trike undercarriage, easily steerable.

Edit:

Just had another look on Thingiverse and there is indeed a design incorporating some of the modifications I mentioned above. This model does not need the front of the skis shaping afetr printing either, not sure why the other design was printed flat. If you want a look it's here.

What is the block of wood for in the photos? Is this required during the printing process or is this something made to design the geometry?

Posted by Delta Foxtrot on 12/01/2017 12:28:56:
Posted by Ian Jones on 12/01/2017 11:45:43:

Presumabley these OG?

Edit:

What is the block of wood for in the photos? Is this required during the printing process or is this something made to design the geometry?

DF, the first version mention by OG needs the wood template for making the upturn at the front of the ski after printing. The later link in my last post is to another ski design which doesn't require this.

Hi Everyone

Just discovered this thread. I designed the skis using Autodesk Fusion 360 and wanted reduced weight so incorporated hollowed areas in the base of the ski, this leads to drawing problems with a curved ski (my inexperience with the programme) and it's easier to draw it flat. A few mins with a heat gun and the front is softened and can be bent to desired shape. The wooden block is used to get the shape, not necessary I know, but it was easy to make and ensured both were the same shape. (it is all explained in the summary on the page on Thingiverse) It all depends how much attention to detail you want.

I guess the time taken to print them is something you get used to once you're running a printer. maybe it's different with expensive models but with my elcheapo prusa I3 clone type the skis took about 5 1/2 hours each. They were printed the size the files are shown on Thingiverse at 100% fill. Depending on how heavy and strong they are needed you could reduce to 50% fill and save an hour of so in printing time. .... And we still haven't had any snow in this area to try them yet!!!!

I tried a number of different progs and I've whittled it down to 4 free ones. I'm finding Autodesk Fusion 360 to be working well and easy to use on geometric shapes. The pilot was produced (remixed from a 1930s style pilot from someone else) in Meshmmixer and I'm using Autodesk print studio to fix stl files and add supports and Cura to produce the gcode files for the printer