Foster Wickner Wicko/Warferry

Colin Leighfield

Advert

I'm grabbing moments in the office to look at this! Need a breather sometimes.

Danny, I'm starting from a zero base in knowledge on this, it might be a disaster.however I'll stick with it for now, getting the build light enough is the challenge and it's got to be a quick build as well. I might have a chance to look at it tonight, but by Saturday I will be out of time for three weeks, although I can do some drawing while I'm away if necessary.

I can't get much done before we leave on Saturday, however the hardware arrived today and I can start to get my head around the detail. As I've clearly got more weight to carry than Danny, the structure weight is critical and to get some idea of what is achievable I cut two fuselage sides from 3mm Depron and three formers from the same Depron and 1/32" balsa as transverse stiffeners. The whole lot weighs 7gms, so I reckon I'm in with a chance.

I'll do a proper job of the drawings while we're away with the intention of knocking it together quickly when we get back. I've got no doubt that I can do a reasonable scale model and the plywood skin of the full size makes it easier than simulating img_0349.jpg a fabric covered plane. In detail it won't be a patch on Danny and Martyn's projects though. It should make a good flyer, but a successful indoor model is something else apart from the weight consideration, so we'll have to see.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 19/01/2017 22:55:10

Hi Colin, yes you include the area between the wings (centre section) you also include the tailplane. If you wan to send me a plan view and what span you are doing I can outline it in Turbocad and let you know the numbers? Just a thought to save you some time

Cabin glazing.... I used some acetate sheet, remember the A4 stuff we used on Overhead Projectors? showing our age now

Cheers

Danny

The acetate sheet was found in the stationary cupboard at home, had it years! I dare say the usual office shops will sell a pack. If you really get stuck I can meet you for a coffee somewhere, and let you have a few sheets? It needs to be really thin, the modelling stuff is way too heavy. Cellophane might be better but my fingers are not good enough for that, and it would get damaged so easily, but for flat side windows its a thought

Cheers

Danny

img_0359.jpgimg_0356.jpgimg_0357.jpgimg_0358.jpgI enjoy the opportunity out here to have a little time messing about and drawing up a design using my schoolboy self-taught old fashioned bodging techniques. This is a very interesting plane. The photo from Janes 1941 shows the Wicko exactly as the civilian form, but in service markings. The plane was built with a one-piece wing and no dihedral. The pages from Aircraft of the Fighting Powers show the "Warferry". To make a third seat available across the plane, the fuel tank was reduced in size, the dual controls and flap mechanism removed. These also kept the loaded weight the same as the two seater. The flaps were considered to have little effect, so their removal was not seen as a problem. You can see that the spats have been taken off as well, it wouldn't surprise me if that wouldn't have happened in service anyway. Also the long exhaust pipe has been replaced with short stubs. It's clear from this drawing and others that the tailplane had been enlarged by that time, compared also with the earlier drawings. It seems that the wings on the Warferry had also been split in two to make them removable and a smidgen of dihedral added as well. I've got a feeling that this was the only one. Looking at the ATA notes from 1944/45 the flaps are described, so I think the others continued as two seaters. I need to decide which my model will be. I'm working on the drawing and have created a wing section based on a thicker version of the Gottingen 795 suggested by Danny, but hand drawn. It should do.img_0360.jpg

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 26/01/2017 18:05:49

wicko23.jpgI found this on-line, G AFJB as it was in store at Berkswell Forge when I saw it in I think 1987. It had been re-finished in its wartime condition as DS613. Not a Warferry, but simply a Wicko in military colours as used by the ATA. One-piece wing with no dihedral, long exhaust and no spats. I think that I will finish mine like this.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 26/01/2017 22:06:31

Fine that your sunny 'retirement' stills allows to go on drawing and pondering, Colin.

Just look out for that slight overdose of fresh sangria, though... wink

Not so sure if there is a relation to that great fruity juice - or not at all - but could it be that your chosen Wicko scheme carries the wartime registration DR613 - Delta Romeo - instead of DS613... ??? angel

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris, no, it's a combination of advancing senility and finger trouble. I have to be careful with my absent-mindedness out here. Back home, when I step off the patio I'm walking in the garden. Here I'm hurtling down seven floors onto the concrete. If my posts come to a sudden halt I'll leave you to draw own conclusions!

img_0362.jpgimg_0363.jpgimg_0364.jpgIt is a beautiful day here today and after a walk in the sunshine to the market this morning, I spent three hours on the balcony looking out over the sea and working on the Wicko plan detail. I've got all of the wingimg_0365.jpg and much of the fuselage sorted out. I've reversed my earlier decision to make the wing in two halves, it will now be in one piece but still using magnets for attachment. I have drawn in two 3mm balsa wing spars, but might leave them out. The Depron skins with high camber on the upper surface and ribs inside should have all of the necessary rigidity. No need to worry about webbing here.

The slight complication is that the windscreen wraps over the wing leading edge, so part of the wing centre section will be fixed to the fuselage. The light weight of this project will primarily be from the use of Depron for most of the structure with a little 1/32" balsa here and there. The square box fuselage and ply skinning of the original makes this a classic simple build and it needs to be because of the need to get back to the Chipmunk again. (I blame Danny for everything).

As you were "repeatedly" told by the Lady Who Knows, of course it is your fault, Danny.

What about if Colin thinks he's leaving his patio at home and gets aware of it seven floors later on the concrete... surprise

I realize that you want to win this contest, but please realize the man had already some troubles just writing down the simple registration of his projected model...

Let us all pray for Colin...

In nomine patris, filius & ... ... ...

Chris