Nigel Hawes Tucano

Richard Gordon-Davis 3

Advert

It doesn't take very much carbon to transform a piece of 'floppy' foam. The bendy tail booms of my EPO Durafly Vampire were transformed by cutting slots along their length and inserting carbon strips just 8 x .5mm. A few drops of cyano and job done, with negligible weight gain. Likewise I reinforced a thin EPS glider wing with diagonal carbon 'wires' .5mm dia. Just a shallow incision with a model knife and push the carbon into the crack. Just make sure the wing is on a flat surface as once the (foam safe) cyano has gone off the wing won't torsionally flex at all anymore.

The other way and the one that I've been using is to glue on a balsa leading edge. (If you're not bothered about a few gms. trailing edge as well, but at 30" it's less important). That also makes it more ding-proof. If you glue 3mm balsa onto the tailplane and fin trailing edges and elevator and rudder (if you're using one) leading edges, you'll make them as stiff as you need as well as providing a better anchor for furry hinges.

Although with built-up wings, I've used this composite approach on my XB42 and Super Marauder builds and they came out really well. You don't need to add a lot of balsa to Depron to make a big difference to toughness.

Either way works, but for this one That would be my choice. Just to show how contrary I can be, when I built my 45" Tucano, on which I think the wings were 10 mm balsa, I glued on 5mm diameter carbon fibre tube to the leading edges to improve the ding resistance even further and improve the profile. It works a treat.

Here's another one of mine with wheels on, I'm nervous about hand-launching. Power is a 3542 1250 KV 45A motor with 60A esc. With a 10x7 prop it was showing 670W at start up! While the esc got hot it kept going, but might explain why the motor burned out eventually and needs replacing! The plane is still pristine though.

BEB's shows the black scheme now used by RAF Tucanos, which looks great. Mine is fictitious. The RAF painted one Tucano in a 1940 B o B Spitfire scheme as a tribute. I thought what a good idea if they had commemorated the last use of the Seafire by painting one in the scheme of an FR47 flying off HMS Triumph in the Korean War in 1950. They hadn't done that, so I did.

You could do a Depron build simply by making most of it straight off the plan, just dscf5116.jpgby substituting Depron for the wood. Put in 1/16" balsa or 1/64" ply doublers in the fuselage up front and stiffen the wings with balsa or carbon as suggested earlier. Why not do the 45" version instead? Depron is cheap and dead easy to work with. With the weight down probably to 2lbs/900gms or so you'd have a great performance with 250/300W and a 3S 2200 Lipo.

Hi Ron,

I took the precaution of using sanding sealer on the wood before applying the PolyC; result - no problems, no warps. It really was a pretty painless experience. You do need some patience though - more so than with epoxy resins - I think there was about 10 thin coats on the Tucano to get that that finish IFRC.

BEB

Thanks gents, now we are getting into the direction that I was hoping it would go!

Some great advice all round with the benefit of expertise. The only reason that I thought of the smaller Tucano was that I was dubious of the strength of Delton in the larger one, that and I have already built the 30" out of balsa in the past.... Great design Mr Hawes!!!!