Zenoah 38 Exhaust

John Emms 1

Okay, I now have my shiny new Zenoah 38 that will go in the Black Horse Storch. I would love to use the Practical Scale stainless steel exhaust, but there simply isn't room in the fus. The instructions give the mods to the supplied exhaust, but the 15mm diameter outlet in the instructions appears excessive. I really don't need the full power of this engine.

What diameter outlet tube works?

Thanks,

John

Advert

Hi John, I think you already realise that expanding exhaust gas will escape through any sized hole but may affect power, and certainly alters tone. Even offering up a longer tube to fit, pushed into a muffler does alter the tone and volume, sometimes considerably, but sadly, they do not stay put for very long. Trial and error is no bad thing and try what is to hand, and what suits the Storch aesthetic, then do consider welding the pipe in.

Thank you. both, for the input. In terms of scale, then it would be quite simple to build a ply box inside the cowl to take a motor and 10S batteries, but for the time being, I have settled on 3S and 4S for electrics, and 40 to 50:1 mix for petrol engines. The Zenoah would fit inside the cowl with a scale exhaust outlet, but it would be tight. For practicality and cooling, I have decided to let the cylinder "hang in the breeze" - sorry to those who would prefer it otherwise....

I realise that the small supplied exhaust is not ideal, but talking with another Zenoah user today, it appears that following the instructions IS (surprise, surprise) the way forward. So, I will remove the baffle plate, close up the existing outlets, and braze the two pressings together. I am told that the easiest source of 15mm pipe is domestic water pipe, so silver solder it is for the copper pipe outlet that si proven to work. I will be using larger props, so that will ease the quantity of exhaust gasses that the exhaust has to deal with.

Thanks again,

John