Radian XL, control throws.

Piers Bowlan

I bought a Radian XL for a bit of relaxing soaring, hopefully. Models don't get much simpler than this but to ask a silly question... From the quick start information below, are these control deflections total control surface movements or are they +, - deflections either side of neutral? i.e. Rudder, high rate = + or - 55mm from centre? I did google it without success, no doubt some nice person on this forum knows the answer. Also, is the rudder deflection measured at the top of the rudder or the bottom as there is a big difference due to the rudder taper? Am I over thinking this?

Thought I better check before launching it into the blue! Thanks for your help.

img_3175.jpg

Set the spoilers on a 3 position switch if you can so you will have them retracted, mid position, and high position. I've also slowed the servo speed down so they deploy at a more controlled rate rather than just popping up out of the wing. They do make a difference and are very useful if you want to lose lift especially during landing.

The 'tad' I was referring to Denis is about 4mm aft. I am using 2200Ah 3s LiPo as my 3300Ah are all 4s. The battery is as far forward as it will go so I will have to resort to some lead if the CG proves to be too exciting for me. Either that or buy some more LiPos. devil

I have set the spoilers on a three position switch Mark but will do as you suggest and slow them down as it sounds like a good idea. If the weather holds I hope to maiden it tomorrow and will report further.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 19/01/2017 16:39:19

Posted by Mark a on 19/01/2017 15:51:20:

Set the spoilers on a 3 position switch if you can so you will have them retracted, mid position, and high position. I've also slowed the servo speed down so they deploy at a more controlled rate rather than just popping up out of the wing. They do make a difference and are very useful if you want to lose lift especially during landing.

Or make a flight mode that puts them on the throttle stick instead of motor control; much easier to use to control your descent rate on landing.

Yes Matty I know that some folk use the throttle stick for spoilers and a switch (or slider) for power but in the event of a go-round, in the heat of the moment, my tranny may do the right thing but my brain may not! If you see what I mean? I will probably get the measure of the model first before I try flight modes but thanks for the suggestion.