David Boddington Raider Combat RCM&E Febr 2017

Ton van Munsteren

Iam not really a foam fan but I love the David Boddington Raider Combat design from 1980, its easy to make and 100% fun to fly.

As Always I make a lots more pics than there's needed for the article as published in the RCM&E Febr-2017.

So for every one who likes pickies or have questions have a look in here or as your question.

Enjoy smiley

1 raider (1).jpg

raider combat.jpg

If you want to receive the drawing or a pdf for the parts just let me know.

1 raider (2).jpg

1 raider (3).jpg

Ready start cutting foam

1 raider (4).jpg

1 raider (5).jpg

1 raider (6).jpg

Power on and now full power to start cutting foam

1 raider (9).jpg

It works the wire is cutting foam at half trottle

1 raider (10).jpg

1 raider (11).jpg

Pim is cutting the sheet to the size needed

1 raider (12).jpg

1 raider (13).jpg

1 raider (14).jpg

1 raider (15).jpg

The first try to cut the profile its by the way Pim's first time cutting a wing

1 raider (16).jpg

Looks like Pim is going a little to fast or the wire needs a little more power

1 raider (17).jpg

1 raider (18).jpg

Oooops yes a little to fast

1 raider (19).jpg

1 raider (20).jpg

Works also great with a servotester.

1 raider (21).jpg

1 raider (22).jpg

Will be back later with more pics.

And if you have some Raider pics yourself just through them inhere.

Cheers

Ton

Here some more pickies

1 raider (23).jpg

1 raider (24).jpg

9 gram servo works fine

1 raider (25).jpg

1 raider (26).jpg

Receiver in a small cutout and covered with film

1 raider (27).jpg

1 raider (28).jpg

30 Amp Esc and motor 2830 1000kv with 10x5 , no powerhouse but enough for fun flying and combat.

1 raider (29).jpg

The Lipo 3S 2200ma 20C works fine and is cheap , sits in place with only velcro. Hold perfect for flight but comes off on a crash which safes the batt.

1 raider (30).jpg

I use the HK velcro which works great.

1 raider (31).jpg

The line is handy for aligning the motormount with the eye, you won't fly strait devil so its not critical wink.

1 raider (32).jpg

1 raider (33).jpg

1 raider (34).jpg

1 raider (35).jpg

The cg as per plan is 2 1/16" inch but on my model sits a little more forward because the location of the batt.

Better a litlle more forward than aft because then it won't fly.

Thats it for now but theres more to come lateron.

Cheers

Ton

Thanks for that Ton. Yes they were not a bad engine in their day. Mind you Veco were not bad I remember two other Veco powered ones that performed well. Sadly I have not got any pics of my Enya one but when I build the new one will post them on here. I am so glad you have resurrected this design.

Paul.

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers for the email Ton, made my loom today. Like yours I made it from plastic pipe with 5mm bar.

I've cut some grooves into the ends of rods to support the wire. I will be using a servo tester with a brushed ESC (anyone got a spare esc) for power.

Hot wire loom

Couple of questions-

What thickness of nichrome (swg) wire should I use?

Plus where are people buying the foam from?

baz

Edited By brfc7 on 16/03/2017 21:51:26

baz, Looking good please keep in mind you need a tensioner, because when heating the wire it will expand a little and will lose its tension.

The wire Iam using is 0.5mm not that it is the best thickness, its because its the only wire I have so I use it and to good result.

I get my foam from house construction companies its used for isolation of houses.

Looking forward to more pics.

Cheers

Ton

Posted by Ton van Munsteren on 17/03/2017 21:21:50:

baz, Looking good please keep in mind you need a tensioner, because when heating the wire it will expand a little and will lose its tension.

How have you tensioned yours! I presumed you just put the wire on very tight contracting the loom and then once hot it expands but is still taught.

Barry

Evening Ton, I'm still in the process of getting all my components together. I only need an esc to complete my hot wire loom and have all the other bits to make the actual wing including the all important foam. I bought a sheet 2400x600 so going to try an 800mm wingspan 1st and if this works I will get 6 wings from 1 sheet yes (Will probably need them all once we start combat)

Here is a picture of a Raider made by one of my club mates John. He says he had one of the original DB Raiders back in the 80s and had great fun "trying" to cut opponents streamers"

JBs raider

Thanks Barry

When tensioning the wire with a spring avoid having the spring carry current as it will lose temper if it gets hot. I suggest making a ring loop at one end of the cutting wire and make a stub on the bow. Hook one end of a spring into the loop and the other end to the free end of the stub. Experiment for best tension. I avoid telling you how to do it as the methods used to make the bow vary so much and you are all such clever chaps/ chapesses..The spring could have a length of wire interposed to keep the spring away from too much heat Hope this helps