Glow Plug Voltage

seecomber

I recently bought a modestly priced Power Panel.Measuring the output of the glow terminals I was surprised to find it was 12v. I had assumed it would be 1.5v to 2v,regulated by the potentiometer /variable resistor.  I telephoned the suppliers who assured me this was normal and that the amperage was adjusted not the voltage. Certainly the plug does not appear to overheat or burn out,even at maximum setting(about 5 amps) Is tis normal? The output terminals are marked 1.5v  but whether this refers to the plug rating I do not know. I had assumed the output would be 1.5v.

Advert

yes...but 5A at 12 V will not be normal, and would burn out your plug. Normally glow plugs are fed from a single nicd at approx 1.1V under load, and at this voltage the current flow is approximately 3A+. A glow plug element has a very low resistance of around .3 Ohm so you can see from Ohms law that it would "consume" approximately 40Amps at 12V ! -  if the current were not limited.

The voltage you have measured (12V) I assume is with no glow plug attached, ie no current flow. What you would probably find is that there is a resistor  / solid state regultaor in series with the output such that when you have a glow plug attached and a current is passing through the resistor / solid state regulator that the majority of the voltage is dropped across the resistor / solid state regulator leaving 1.5 volts - 2 volts for the glow plug, which is normal.

Hi Timbo     Going to get more "sticky bun brain food Eh ! "    Just run up my first ic to 'lectric conversion job & just like your good " "self I'm recording everything .Have done 10 mniutes at half throttle ? ie the setting on the tranny half way up ! & have taken some "before "pictures in case it all goes pear shaped or should I say molten pear shaped .So far so good -I'm gaining confidence on flying 'er indoors's trainer.Nothing has even got warm yet (touch wood ).Wish'd I could work out how to send a picture or two from my camera phone but thats just another no -go area for myself of very small brain!

You know who !