Horus TX

robert mcleod

So I have a new Horus after many years a JR user. Very different kettle of fishfrown. Managed to bind RX (S8R stabilised) after an hour with scant instruction. Since downloaded the manual for TX. No flight modes on fixed wing, wasted a lot of time with that one. So voice alerts next quandry. Want to have alerts for switch positions on dual rates ail etc. Only managed to achieve zero alert on three position switch @ top position using special funtion menue, surely i can have alert on other two positions? So voice files. What are they all about and do i need to expand on same. On LBT with fr software on latest version i think 1.2.23 any help greatly appreciated. Not bothered with stab funtion as yet. Cheers all Rob

Advert

My suggestion would be to go over to OpenTX, its far, far better than the FrSky OS. If so, there is a full set of documentation for OpenTX 2.1, a slightly earlier version than one you will put on your Horus. Flight modes and speech alerts are no problem. I would also suggest you work through OpenTX Companion. While OpenTX is far easier to work with on the Horus than it was on the Taranis due to the much improved screen, the Companion allows you to see a much better overview of all the settings together, and saves an awful lot of button pressing and knob twiddling.

**LINK**

Thanks Andy, much reading to do, may be the way to go after a little more playing with current programming. One thing i did read about not using a very current version of open tx as a newbie. Can you suggest a version i load to my pc to begin my learning process. Also everything always refers to the Taranis, i assume this is directly applicable to Horus? Thank you.

You have to use OpenTX 2.2 on the Horus. It is the only version that works on that transmitter.

Yes the documentation refers to the Taranis, and obviously the screen displays are somewhat different, but you should soon find these differences for yourself. The Widgets are new to the Horus. However, OpenTX works in exactly the same way on the Horus as the Taranis. You will need to ensure however, that when you come to setting up the Companion you do specify the correct transmitter.

While OpenTX 2.2 is unfinished, it does work well now, as the core of the program remains unchanged. FrSky OS is still developing and there are still plenty of bugs in that.

Ok Andy look forward to delving in. Homer Simpson on Alertswink. Back tracking can I not configure voice alerts on all three of the rate switch positions on the fr OS as is. I seem to spend a lot of time attempting functions with no result, like trying to add more telemetry read outs on the "home screen" rather than model photo.

Hi Alan, how are you? Only had set 4days but have the receiver in an Ugly Stick. The TX is a nice weight, i find and sits int the hand nicely. Sticks do sit further apart about an inch, nice. Certainly different to JR, i fancied a change. The open TX looks very interesting, followed the link from Andy and a good read. Will down load to pc create model and see how i get on? I have the GPS module attached and this works well on the ground at least. I have noticed the Tx "swamping" the Rx when setting on the bench, manual does mention this. Hope it won,t prove a problem in start up boxindecision. Hope to get in the air next good day. Rob.

Posted by Andy48 on 09/02/2017 16:49:30:

You have to use OpenTX 2.2 on the Horus. It is the only version that works on that transmitter.

Yes the documentation refers to the Taranis, and obviously the screen displays are somewhat different, but you should soon find these differences for yourself. The Widgets are new to the Horus. However, OpenTX works in exactly the same way on the Horus as the Taranis. You will need to ensure however, that when you come to setting up the Companion you do specify the correct transmitter.

While OpenTX 2.2 is unfinished, it does work well now, as the core of the program remains unchanged. FrSky OS is still developing and there are still plenty of bugs in that.

Hi Andy. Loaded companion 2.1.9 on pc, this appears to be latest version not 2.2 as you suggest. Created a file for Horus but unable to get tx in bootloader mode. The suggested method of holding in trims on start up doesn,t work on Horus. Any ideas please. Rob

Posted by robert mcleod on 11/02/2017 11:23:11:

Andy, just found and loaded 2.2 companion on pc. Selected Horus in settings, just leaves the bootloader issue? Cheers.

Robert - Connect the Horus to the PC with Horus switched off, as Bob suggests. If this works - great. If not, check in windows device manager to see if you have a USB device called STM32 BOOTLOADER (While Horus is still connected).

If that isn't there, come back to us and we'll talk you through using Zadig to install the required driver.

Thanks guys for all the pointers. I have made some progress as Derek has found by using u tube. Also printed off the flash guide on open tx site and fr sky,s own web page. In conjunction with u tube video things are looking a lot clearer. I did come accross the STM loader etc. Looks like i am lucky in that i do have a lead that will talk to the Horus! So i have created the SD card file to load in Horus and have a spare card to save fr sky os. Just need to "grow some balls" and load ityes Have played with Horus a fair bit and despite what it can do open tx clearly expands greatly on it, particularly on voice alerts. Let you know...... cheers Rob.

• 1 month later...

Dont know if this is a new topic,but here goes, just purchased a Horus,but cannot bind my new X8R receivers.These are the latest firmware spec,I think,they work with my Taranis D & E,both of which are to the new EU spec.I am used to open source software,but I am waiting until the version is available to enable me to work with Companion,and then load my Taranis models on to the Horus.I asume that the Horus will work without the SD card,I have not got around to buying one yet

OpenTX needs the SDCard Barrie. I didn't really try the FRSky software but I think it will work without the card.

Companion 2.2 willl import Taranis models and convert the eepe to v2.2's .otx format.  I've imported all my Taranis models to my Horus and found very few errors in the re-formatting.

Re Open TX and Companion - don't install or update to RC15, n368 as there is a bug in the way it registers 'Categories' under 'Models'. Install RC14 or wait for RC16!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 13/04/2017 13:55:21

• 1 month later...

VEE-TAIL MIXING,moving on from my binding problems(all receivers now bound and working).I have completed a vee tail electric glider,the Horus is still on Frsky operating system.I have gone through all the correct programming steps,I think,but,elevator controls OK,as is the right rudder function,the left rudder function is reveresed.I cannot seem to change it.I fly mode 2 and in this setup the rudder is on the right stick,the ailerons are not selected (rudder and elevator control plus spoilers and motor).Anybody any ideas please?

If you want to persevere with FrTX your best hope is ask a question on this RCGroups thread. I agree with Andy though - FrTX at this point has been a failure, with almost everyone who has bought a Horus now using OpenTX 2.2.

Maybe in time that will change, but to build momentum behind it they would have to pick up a lot of new users to FrSky from the more traditional menu driven systems like JR and Futaba. IMO if that were going to happen it would have happened by now.

Edited By MattyB on 31/05/2017 22:10:26

I suspect things will not change. FrSky have looked to the OpenTX team to program their Q7 transmitter. I think they have learned an expensive lesson with their own operating system, and it does not look like they are doing much to improve it. I wonder if when OpenTX 2.2 is finished, they will offer that as an alternative with the Horus?

I also think that given the complexity of OpenTX, dovetailing into a traditional menu system would be very difficult and just lead to many submenus, yet reduce flexibility. OpenTX is an interesting way of enabling complexity without huge menu and submenu systems.