What build blogs do Forumites want to see?

Mannyroad

Advert

I don't pretend to know anything about copyright laws so I can't help you here Manny. Personally I enjoy drafting up my own plans so I would not make a charge for my own 'work' to fellow modellers if anyone wanted one,- it's part of the hobby. Charging for printing and postage costs is fair enough of course.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 17/02/2017 06:57:56

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 17/02/2017 06:59:02

I agree with all of the comments and say go for it. I am a novice builder and have two blogs on the go at the moment. From a personal point of view it is very uplifting when people take the time to comment and offer support - as others have said it can offer help with options you have never though about.

From my experience I would suggest writing about the problems you come across because when you have to write it down in such a way that others can understand it you often get that Eureka! moment while typing. Well, it happens to me all the time but maybe I have more problems than most!!

A couple of suggestions would be to:

1. provide plenty of photos of the build as these really aid understanding;
  2. write your blog in word or other offline format first before copy and pasting into the blog page. this can save a lot of time and heartache as it is all too easy to loose everything you have typed when putting it straight into the blog.

Good luck and enjoy

Just checking the number of views of the build thread should convince that the thread is very worthwhile!

It would seem Mannyroad's new version of the plan is very different to the original so there would appear to be little problem over copyright ( in my view) especially if it has a new & different name. The magazines often have revised or resized versions of old designs and we have not heard of any designs being withdrawn due to copyright have we? My view is that it is fair and quite a nice compliment to say that this design is a development of the original with some changes for specific reasons. Can any designer have a better memorial than having people build models somewhat similar to his original long after his plan was 'extinct' commercially?

I have never heard anyone mention 7 percent or any other figure in relation to copyright but Denis may be right. However the changes were said to be

"numerous changes such as completely revised / additional formers to hold snakes and dispense with engine bearers, wing servos instead of the arangement shown on the plan (which required one had to disconnect the ailerons to remove the wing), tweeked the nose profile for a rounder shape and revised the wing seating and hold down arrangement. ......... In the end, the details and annotation on my version bear little resemblance to that of Ken's, except that I kept the shape of the plane the same (bar the nose)."

which all sounds like it's more than 7 percent and seems like a very different design.to me.

The answer could well be to put the completely different parts on another sheet, call it modifications to make a 'Super' Mirus and sell that and give a free copy of the other drawing with it! That's what others do.....

I agree with what's been said here.

being a relatively novice builder, when I even start thinking about a particular build or project I look to see what build blogs there are for it. I've found some invaluable as a source of techniques, ideas and even re-assurance that I'm doing it right.

Another big plus is that there's a large number of helpful people on here. If I get stuck I just ask a question and inevitably someone will have solved it before or have a good suggestion as to how I should proceed.

The last big plus that I can think of is that even I've provided answers, ideas and re-assurance to other, even more novice, builders from my blogs. So if I can be useful here, anyone can!

Oh, photos are very helpful. smiley

• 3 months later...
Posted by Mannyroad on 10/02/2017 21:28:36:

Hi guys,

I built a Ken Stokes Mirus over 8 years ago and, though I still have it today and it flies beautifully, I am considering building another one, mainly because it gives me so much fun and its fairly simple to build. I've already ordered and received the foam core wings from Cloud Models, whom I've had wings from before, and have done an excellent job for a very fair price.

Anyway, I read numerous build blogs on this forum but have never done a build blog myself. So I got to thinking, should I do a build blog for the Mirus build? Now, as I mentioned, being a simple box sheet fuselage, with sheet fin and stab, maybe nobody is interested in such a build, I asked this question of a friend of mine, an experienced builder of many years who is a very active forum member. His reply was that it is "too simple a build, which would be (to forumites) rather like watching paint dry".

I see his point, but thought this might be a question that should be put to the forum members? What's your view? Do I do a blog on the Mirus, or wait till i get cracking on my TN 72" Spit or my Topflite Sea Fury kit, which will be my next projects?

I'd rather see a blog on the mirius than your two planned ones. Watching paint dry can be very stimulating compared to taking the wife shoe shopping......