Shawbury Tactical Fighter Wing

I've trimmed the tail pipe and set up the tx. Can't wait for a nice day to maiden it!

Timbo - what are your thoughts on the rx installation? I ask because of the proximity of the battery in this very small bay. The battery will have to go about mid point because of the weight.

Shaun Chant wrote (see)

Rx installation as can be seen here, the aerials of the AR6100E are too wide for the fuselage.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/winchweight/TestBed004.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/winchweight/TestBed005.jpg

Should I:

1) Drill holes to feed them into?

2) Turn the rx through 90 degrees?

3) Wrap them in a curve towards the front?

Well personally I would just nake some tiny holes in the sides in line with the natural lay of the wires and gently poke them in. I have done this on several of my foamies and it works absolutley fine. Or as Jet says.... simply cut a fine slot down from the top edge and slide them in.

I'll take a couple of pics tomorrow.

But briefly, the inlet duct is a large moulding in the lower half of the fuselage. The run to the df is free of any obstructions, provided the esc and servo leads are put well out of the way. The lip of the inlet has a clear plastic guard to give it some strength.

The tail pipe has a fairing over it to look more like the real thing, but the plastic tube extends past the end, and has now been trimmed to extend by just 2 or 3mm.

I'll also weight it dry and wet.

Just looking at the rx set up, do the antenna need to be at 180 degrees as you have them (as I think you said they should be in your crashed plane), or 90 (as mine are recommended)?

If it's 180 the simply turning the rx through 90 degrees will allow them plenty of room.

If it's 90 then shifting the rx to one side should allow one to come stright out, and the other to run across the fuselage without any cutting.

Ah ha this debate again .... the aerials on this receiver should NOT be bent at all.

Whether they cross the fuselage, or run parallel to its sides is not that important as for half the flight it will be orientated "wrongly" to the Tx and the other half correctly.... in either case.

The west wings Hawker hunter jetsome now that I want to see a review on. have they improved their instruction sheets yet? if their other kits are anything to go by it'll be quite a nice model. not suprised its taking some time though they are proper builders kits. a good thing in my books

JETSOME wrote (see)
.......when you have done what you wanted to do simply epoxy the removed part back where it was............master the technique of fibreglass skinning............

My experience of foam is that it is a menace once you start to modify, mend, adapt etc.  epoxy adds weight and leaves an unsightly glue lines and ridges?

And doesn't fibreglass resin disolve foam ? and  dope too ? - it always used to on foam veneered wings unless you were very careful to ensure that it didn't leak into the wing joining slot. 

After many attempts, and not a few mishaps, I vowed never to use foam again!  Good luck with the West Wings Hunter, though.

So your effectively scratch building the hunter then if you chat with west wings they will prob be able to supply any moulded parts you need. I'd be really carefull on the weight issue I'm aware that according to form it requires a bungee launch on the recomended set up so I'm guessing power is an issue wheeled drop tanks sounds like a smart way round the No under carriage / retracts question,

of thread now had the day of today and weathers rotten so sat in my shed is the end result just need a motor and esc

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/28234/Sling_wing.jpg

Yes its the sling wing from this months free plan

Shaun,

thanks for the photos of the ducts - very interesting, and looking good! I like the shape of the front duct: nice big scoop, and nice rounded lip, so the omens are good  - it should be an efficient EDF setup.  I am worried about the strength of those pivots for the all-moving tailplane, though.  This area can take some punishment when a model without u/c lands rough.  Ready for  the maiden flight? -- good luck!

(to Jetsome, I'm very familiar with the use of foam in models, in all sorts of applications, and I agree that foam has it's place. I just don't like it as a structural fuselage material, but it you can get away with it, then good luck).  

Jetsome, I am not prejudiced about foam, just sceptical; while foam is good in compression, it is poor in tension, often has poor surface finish, cannot be satisfactorially moulded or shaped by amateur tools, is sensitive to many glues and paints, does not resist damage well, and is not easy to repair to a high standard after damage. But it is light and can be used effectively in some applications. 

I note that  this is Shaun's tactical fighter blog, not a foam vs built-up discussion.  However, since you criticise me as "old hat" I have to point out that (a) full-size practice and model practice do not have any necessary connection since their respective flight regimes are rather different.  What works for one will not necessarily work for the other. And (b) the best performing "jet" i have seen recently was the last model to fly at Cosford 2008 on the Sunday which outperformed any other by a wide margin (turbine or  EDF).   Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this was of built-up construction, and had propellor at the back.    

Shaun

Looking good there have you had chance to fly her yet? Also i wanted to PM you but for some reason i dont have the option to on any of your posts is this your choice or is it my computer gremlins again.

Was just wondering where abouts in shropshire you fly? can PM me back if you dont want to advertise that fact given your recent "experience"