Sharkface

Andy G.

Advert

Whooo.. Love that Twin Sharkface!..

Finally got mine pretty much up together, only thing left to do now is fit an rx and balance out.. then the fun (mayhem?? ) can commence.. Few pictures below of my very own PAW 0.60 powered ....SHARKY Mc SHARKFACE!..

Just as an aside and with a nod to another thread on this forum, in the top 2 photos, you can see two more FREE PLAN builds.. Ton's Red Eagle and a cartoon Cutlass.. Three ''Freebies'' in one pic..

shark1.jpg

shark2.jpg

shark3.jpg

shark4.jpg

I built a Sharkie from the original free plan back in the '60s I used a Cox Babe Bee and flights were usually very short due to my brain's inability to keep up with model.

I built a second Sharkie a couple of years ago, electric powered this one has full house radio and is a great little model, I reduced the dihedral by half but it stll rolls quicker on rudder than on aileron!

Edited By FlyinBrian on 08/03/2017 13:06:05

Hi Wayne, good to hear the maiden went well! Yet to try mine, hopefully soon though. I've taken the chicken route and added an elevator to mine, though the PAW diesel has no throttle control. I think that we won't be trying out at full chat for the first go or two.

Andy, you may well find that full chat is essential to get it airborne! I've been building Sharkies on and off since the original plan was published, back in the mid 60s, and on a calm day they need a javelin like hurl plus a wiggle of the rudder to get them away!

The plus side is that you can fly them without problems in the kind of winds that would ground all other models of similar vintage!

Mine have always had Cox .049s up front. I did build one (still have it!) for a TeeDee .049 with rudder and elevator. Even with a TeeDee screaming its head off, it required a fair bit of up elevator to get it away on a calm day!

Once its built up flying speed, there's no problem. But then again, it was designed to fly in the teeth (Ha!) of a howling gale! devil

--

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Flew my new Sharkface for the first time yesterday, it flew very well straight off the board. I've used a HobbyKing Donkey ST2004-1550kv motor, Turnigy Plush 10A esc, and 3 cell 1000mAh lipo. There's loads of power and it's good for long flight times.

2017-04-03 13.15.01.jpgThe obligatory sharks mouth obviously helped with the flying.

2017-04-03 13.15.32-2.jpg

Mine is 3 channel, rudder, elevator, and throttle.

Hi Everyone, your Sharkface models all look really good, Mine is almost finished (Pictures to follow) and I'm really looking forward to her maiden! (I may well get someone else to do the honours!).

My question is... How heavy are your models? and how do they fly?

I'm assuming that the new examples of the model are much lighter than the original and are therefore less of a handful???

Also, there is a huge amount of downthrust, presumably to lessen the trim change when the motor stops under single channel operation. With the electric setups that you are experimenting with, would you say that the downthrust could be reduced?

Edited By Peter G Simpson on 04/04/2017 09:38:36

Just weighed mine, it's 11.3ozs/320grams with a 35C Zippy Compact 1000mAh 3 cell lipo. I didn't try to keep the weight down particularly. I think lots of people are flying them on 2 cells but I have lots of 3 cell packs and no 2 cell ones.

It flies very well, doesn't seem to have any nasty characteristics. I used the downthrust shown on the plan and I needed a few clicks of down elevator trim for level flight. I've only had 3 flights so far, all on the same fairly breezy day, and it has a bit of a tendency to balloon when it turns into wind but that's to be expected with the wing section it has. I hardly used full throttle, it's fine on half throttle. I had over 50% left in the lipos after the first two flights so I changed the throttle timer from 6 mins to 10 mins for the third flight, and I still had 27% when I landed.

I didn't have the motor brake on when I flew mine and the freewheeling prop did nothing for the glide. I'll turn the brake on before flying again and that should also reduce the risk of breaking the prop or bending the motor shaft when landing, but I haven't done either so far. I notice some people are using a shaft saver (rubber band retaining the prop) but I didn't.

It rolls a treat, faster to the right than the left, but obviously you aren't going to get axial rolls. It will just about fly inverted but it's not nice. Being designed for single channel it's never going to fly like a pattern ship, enjoy it for what it is, a hoot!

Andy

Posted by Peter G Simpson on 04/04/2017 09:36:35:

............and I'm really looking forward to her maiden!

Also, there is a huge amount of downthrust, presumably to lessen the trim change when the motor stops under single channel operation. With the electric setups that you are experimenting with, would you say that the downthrust could be reduced?

Edited By Peter G Simpson on 04/04/2017 09:38:36

Hi Pete, firstly, Sharkface is most definitely a male so please beware of calling him a 'she', or he may well bite when you least expect it!

Secondly, If built as per original plan the downthrust is correct irrespective of the motive force (leccy or ic), or the amount of rc channels used. 

Edited By Bill_B on 04/04/2017 15:22:46

Posted by Andy Palmer on 04/04/2017 16:35:09:

Hi Pete, firstly, Sharkface is most definitely a male so please beware of calling him a 'she', or he may well bite when you least expect it!

Not sure mine looks terribly male in pink...!

It's ok Andy, he's just a bit camp. wink

Posted by Bill_B on 04/04/2017 18:05:12:
Posted by Andy Palmer on 04/04/2017 16:35:09:

Not sure mine looks terribly male in pink...!

It's ok Andy, he's just a bit camp. wink

Lol!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Bill_B on 04/04/2017 15:22:18:

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the advice here! I'll be careful not the upset the little dude!

Here is my Sharky.... finished and ready to fly. 'He' weighs in at 10oz or 280g in new money, so should fly OK if the engine co-operates!

Hopefully we will have a test flight at some point over the Easter Holidays... fingers crossed!