Somewhere to share our own 3D designs

Ian Jones

The Thingiverse website allows for user groups to be setup so I've done just that. There are some other RC groups in existence but they don't seem to concentrate on aircraft or have very little content.

We have a growing interest here and so the suggestion in some posts for a single place to share our design seems like a natural progression of that interest.

Please feel free to add your own designs, it's quite straightforward. All you have to do is register with Thingiverse and you are then able to add your designs (STL files plus supporting photos if you wish) and make them available to the group in the "Tell Us More" part of the design's information.

So here it is: RC flying models

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Colin, I wanted the exercise in using the design software with the intention of printing the formers and using balsa for the stringers, covering with tissue and dope but I now think it would be better to print the stringers too and leave it as just the framework without a covering - perhaps other designs later as well....

formers printed..

Wings.....

An early trial...

Aerofred is a great resource for plans isn't it!!

That is looking good but I can't help feeling ,why? Apart from an exercise in using the system how would it compare with balsa weight wise and how much would it cost to print. Notice I am ignoring the design/drawing time

This is not a criticism, just interested and intrigued.

It will certainly be heavier and less versatile than balsa for production of a flying model at this scale. I printed the 5 cylinder radial on thingverse a while ago (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:52769) and I fancied having a go at printing something else that I thought would be a nice display piece. If you are thinking of producing an actual flying 3d printed model I would suggest the guys at 3dlabprint.com would be a good place to start....I'm contemplating buying their Stearman, just printing out the test piece as I type smiley

The cost of the pla would be insignificant..less than 50p.