LMA Haydock Park 2017

LMA Haydock Park 2017 (Sunday March 19) at Haydock Park Racecourse, Newton-le-Willows, Merseyside WA12 0HQ

The Large Model Association have decided that they want to stop those winter blues and get the show season started a bit earlier in 2017. we thought it would be good to see these finished models up close and chat to the builders before they are put into a full season of flying.We hope you will enjoy looking at some of the largest model aircraft in the UK, and talking to the builders / pilots who will be displaying them around the country this summer at some of our airshows.

You will find many models in various state of build, where you can get a closer look at the construction and have the opportunity to talk to the designer / builder.

As well as the 3 interlinking rooms for you to look around, we have a fourth room where we will be having various master class tutorials from some of the best modellers around the UK which will be running throughout the day. Talks will be held on how to glass cloth, Jeti radio, and jet turbines. I'm sure you will find something of interest to you.

There is also a wide variety of model trade stalls to browse and a café area where snacks and drinks can be purchased. And finally, Martin Withers DFC the well-known Vulcan pilot from the Falklands Black Buck mission and the recent 558 displays is in attendance. He will be signing the books he has with him for purchase, so please do say hello to him. He has some good stories to tell from his RAF career and is always a pleasure to listen to.

We hope to see you there.

Advert

As it was pouring with rain this morning and Haydock Park is a little under 30 miles away I thought I would stroll along to this event.

Have to say I thought it was well organised and well presented, nice venue, plenty of space. I've never been to an LMA event before so found many of the exhibits quite jaw dropping.

There were a few trade stands to look at, not all focused on large models, the on site catering was good with space to sit and eat and chat.

I saw someone taking lots of pictures, Alex Whittaker (possibly) so there maybe some good pictures to see in an upcoming mag.

There was a strange event which appeared to be called "how many modellers does it take to weight a turbine hawk" .... I lost count.

All in all an a good day out, well done to the LMA folks for tickling the 'modelling' taste buds just as the year starts to open up.

Edited By avtur on 19/03/2017 17:01:53

So glad you took the time to come and visit us today avtur, This was our first event at Haydock Racecourse, and we can already see we need to expand it for next year. We have had a fantastic response from the public. So make sure you watch out for it next year where we hope we will be having a lot more traders and model displays.

Chris/Denis, I don't think we could have wished for better for a first event, everyone seemed happy, I am sure that is not the case for everyone, but a positive response from most people and some lovely comments as they were leaving. We are hoping this is the first of many to come as well. A lot of work had been put in to pulling this event off and modellers and traders both think the venue is great which is a great relief.

Posted by LMA Dave on 19/03/2017 18:29:43:

A lot of work had been put in to pulling this event off and modellers and traders both think the venue is great which is a great relief.

It is a great venue, location is spot on, just by a major motorway junction, hopefully making it easily accessible for many visitors. Obviously wherever a venue is chosen it will be better for some than others, it is over 700 miles from top to bottom of the UK, you couldn't be nearest for everyone but its a heck of a good choice for middle England!!

Facilities were of a high quality which has to be down to choice of venue, an inspired choice by someone.

There is one thing that would have to be on my wish list in future ..... with such a vast availability of land outside ... could there be some flying ???

Posted by avtur on 19/03/2017 19:00:40:
Posted by LMA Dave on 19/03/2017 18:29:43:

There is one thing that would have to be on my wish list in future ..... with such a vast availability of land outside ... could there be some flying ???

We have looked into this, but not possible at this time, but never say never.