WW2 Japanese pilot figure

Gordon Brown

I'm continuing my CMPRO Mitsubishi Zero 120 build and I'm looking for a suitable pilot figure to add a touch of realism. Some time ago I spotted a latex moulded figure of quite good quality and low cost (about a tenner as I recall), one with a fur lined helmet with big flaps, but stupidly forgot to bookmark the page and I cannot for the life of me find it any more. The figure needs to be between 1/6 and 1/7 scale as the model appears to be 1/6.6, anyone recognise it from the description or have a suitable model surplus to requirements?

Gordon

Advert

No, you were right the first time, it's the one below from Pete's Pilots, found an archived listing with it on. However, he isn't listing this one on Ebay, I'll send him a message asking if he still does them. He does another one but it isn't as nice a model as the one below. Real Model Pilots don't do the bust any more, just the head, and the full body is much more than I'd want to pay. There is another one on ebay made of latex but the quality of the model doesn't look very good.

japanese pilot.jpg

Edited By Gordon Brown on 16/03/2017 14:01:57

I wouldn't worry too much about that pilot Gordon, as it's a bit too small for your model anyway. It not Pete's pilot either, it's a poor knock-off of the very fine Legend Productions 1/9 scale resin-cast kit of an IJN Kamikaze pilot. Almost unbelievably, "Pete's" even used Legends own artwork on their eBay listing to illustrate the painted pilot!

Petes Japanese Pilot

Copied pilot (unpainted) and Legend Productions original resin-cast figure (packaging artwork)

Legends 1/9th #2110 WW2 Japanese Kamikaze Pilot

Unfortunately, it's been noticed that Pete's advertised versions of other apparently plagiarised pilots among which have been Verlinden's resin busts, Michael Johnson's excellent "Aces of Iron figures" and the Just Pilots range of 1/12-scale figures, not that long after they were launched (no pun intended). See this thread from 2006 - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?494732-Apparent-Fraud-on-eBay-Pete-s-Pilots!!!

qq knockoff of justpilots 12th scale raf pilot. ebay listing 6044156734.jpg

"Knock-off" RAF pilot and original Just Pilots 1/12-scale RAF figure).

qq original justpilots raf figure 12th scale raf pilot.jpg

rr knockoff of justpilots 12th- scale us navy pilot. ebay listing 6045148371.jpg

"Knock-off" US Navy pilot and original Just Pilots 1/12 US Navy pilot figure.

rr original justpilots us navy figure.12th us navy pilot.jpg

It was also picked up and mentioned in post 12 of this thread from 2012 - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1451873-My-Squadron-of-Pilots!

However, with regards to your model, are you only after a pilot bust or might you open up the cockpit area to install some detail and a fuller pilot? The reason I ask is that a 1/6 scale pilot looks quite at home within the space available as can be seen from a clip of a CMP 120 Zero with an opening canopy on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RSrDHB4pAU and so a search for a smaller pilot may not be necessary. 

As a final thought, and if you can get one, a Slimline Xtreme Kamikaze pilot is almost ready to fly, apart from maybe a flying helmet and some googles...

Slimline Xtreme Kamikaze Pilot

Edited By Andy R. on 17/03/2017 03:25:29

Andy, thank you for the comprehensive reply, pity the Legend Productions model is too small as it is probably the best japanese pilot bust out there. It's entirely possible that I will open out the cockpit and do a proper scale detail job on it, lots of info out there to help me, but for the moment I just want to make it look reasonable until I've done the maiden flight. To be honest, this model is scaring the pants off me as I get closer to finishing it as it's the first ic model I've built and will be the first I've flown, although I have several years experience with fairly large electric models. I bought the airframe from a swap meet as it was going at a bargain price, with the intention of doing an electric conversion. However, the nose moment is so short that it's tricky to do an electric version and the challenge of an ic build was irresistable. I'm hoping I don't have to put too much lead in the nose (4 pounds is not unheard of on this model!) as it will make landing inetresting to say the least!