IMPORTANT - YOU NEED TO SEE THIS

Tim Mackey

Sorry for sounding a little dramatic in the header, but having done some initial testing of "brown outs" and the like on a thread yesterday, I have done quite a lot more today, and the results are quite startling - if you fly Spekky gear ( and even if you dont ) you might want to see the latest test results which concern servo current comsumption, signal loss re-boot times, and more "brown out" scenarios.

I have only just finished filming the results and have a lot of text and film editing to do, so unlikely to be posted until tomorrow...but please .... visit the thread called "Brown outs and Grey areas" later tomorrow, and get ready to be surprised - well I was !

PS for those who dont know... a brown out is NOT a political rebellion movement

PPS you may also want to see the discussion happening here too !

• 1 month later...
Timbo, this may not be the ideal place to put this, but I think that it may be relevant.. I have a Dalotel now on JR DSX9 but previously on JR 3810. The radio makes no difference. I used MG995 cheapo digi servos and found that occasionally one would suffer a delay in returning to neutral; changing the servo seemed to help for a short time. I have just installed some decent Multiplex digi servos and the problem re-occurred, but only with all servos plugged in. The Rx pack is a 2000 NiMh, and when I measured the output with all servos operating it was below 3.8V. Changing to a 2000 Nicad has completely cured the problem. Could this be the cause of some brown outs? I never felt completely in control with the NiMh`s (tested to hold full capacity). Should we only use Lipo`s (which I do not trust) or Nicads with digi servos?

Well whether we like it or not, NiCd will soon be almost impossible to source so its either NiMh or Lithium in future.

Some cells are poor at delivering their stuff - you didnt say what physical size the 2000 cells were, or indeed the voltage ( 4 or 5 cell ? ) I suspect it is down to the former.... for instance, typical AA size cells will simply NOT supply good current flow irrespective of the capacity, and for anything much bigger than 2 or 3 digital servos I would suggest at least subC size packs....... and for extra margin.... 5 cells.

In my IC models I now use 2 cell LiPos and a good regulator / solid state switch system like the powerbox digiswitch.

PS I trust EVERY model I fly to Lipo...even all my sloper's radio gear are Lipo fed.

Timbo, flown the model today with the new set-up and now feel completely `locked in` and  in full control for the first time in its 2 year life. But!!! on switching on the DSX9 for the second flight the Rx refused to respond until it was switched off  and on again. Could not repeat it and no further problems but has anyone else experienced this? There was one other 2.4 in operation at the time. MM.

I think a lot of the high capacity AA Nimh cells have a lot of internal resistance and cannot stand a high load without the voltage dropping. When i was racing 1/10 electric buggies and Nimh cells appeared, they lacked "punch", the ability to deliver power under high loads. It took quite a while for the cells to develop and improve to the same level as the old Nicads.

I reckon there is a chance that Nimh cells that have a lower capacity for the same cell size, may have lower IR and may be more suitable for high power servo requirements. Anyone able to test this??

Stuey, I think that you are correct. Come to think of it, I do not recall a problem when using the model on 1300mAh hydrides. The higher capacity cells can certainly only be charged at a low (1/10C) rate, so the discharge max. current would probably be much less than a lower capacity pack. Just wondering how the 1500mAh pack supplied with the JR DSX9 would perform with digi servos since I presume that they would expect us to use them with their currently top of the range set.

More a publicity dig at their rivals than a revelation.

An IC would have reached its shut down temperature of 125C- 150C (302F), the oven temperature reading (307F) would be ahead of receiver temperature. It was the case that melted not the actual receiver.

Would have been impressed if it had worked again after cooling down.

Does confirm that the components are to a high specification.

Case could  be of a higher spec though!