Pilot Bails Out At Low Level

Advert

And Now For The Quiz - Read On.

So you all know - My elastic band trick to hold the camera on the plane finally broke and the little camera took a tumble from about a hundred foot. I wonder if anyone can work out the exact time the camera was in free fall and hence tell us all the height.

There's an interesting challenge

Not sure you can use the simple equations of linear motion Pete as the pilot is falling from a height, I cannot remember any others.

S= UT + 1/2 FT squared

V squared = U squared + 2FS

V = U + FT (Needs checking)

We only have S which is 100 feet, we do not have U which is the initial velocity or V the terminal velocity, F being the acceleration due to gravity at -32 feet per second per second as it is a deceleration.

Any chance of flying at the club this weekend?

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 18/05/2017 16:36:57

Hi Mike& all...

It was flying down wind on half throttle so lets call it around 27 mph and the "pilot" would fall in an arc at first till it got to 32 fpsps. I can only assume 100 feet as that was only my guess however if someone can do the math it would be interesting to see how far I was out on height! What we do have is the exact time the pilot left the plane to the time he hit the ground.idea

Please note the "Bounce" don't count in the time...smile

The margin of error cant be that much as the numbers a times of the fall are not great. I know there are variables - so whos going to come back first - if any - I wonder...

PS Sunday looks the best so far - fingers crossed Mike...

From the length of time of the fall it would seem that the fall was a lot higher than 100 ft or the helicoptering fall slowed it down.I Timed it loosely at about 7 seconds even averaging the speed at 30 fps that is 210 ft. Is it likely you could have been that high?

210 feet isn't very high when observed with the aid of onboard telemetry - I couldn't get the video to play to check your timing but but isn't the theoretical figure 1/2gt2 - roughly 10 x 7 x 7 divided by 2 = 245m in metric units or around 750 feet? Knock off a little for the rounded up G figure and air resistance and I suspect it was still over 600 feet.

This is interesting - Firstly I have to say I was watching as best I could Both the plane and camera fall so my estimate at 100 foot was a pure guess. I also reckoned around 7 seconds for the fall but some of that time it would have been traveling along horizontally which can be seen as its falling in line with the plane but it still means my 100 foot estimate was well out. Some years ago I had an on board camera fitted to a Calaris I was chugging around and I was thinking I was flying along the beach / seashore when in fact I was a long way off shore. Seems easy but its not and trying to keep tabs on both the falling camera and the plane makes my estimate way out - I wonder if anyone can be anymore specific just using the data that's available from the video... Interesting this...yes

I'm personally not a physicist nor a bomb-aimer at all (well... ?!) , but isn't this simply the old Newton 'apple' stuff?

Having 7 seconds of 'dive/fall' at 9,81m/sec, would equal to a height of 68,67m (or 225 ft) as linear horizontal velocity has nothing to do with it as Martin already stated.

Cheers

Chris

Acceleration due to gravity isn't linear though - until an object reaches terminal velocity (drag equal to force exerted by gravity) it continues to accelerate with the square of time (ignoring drag which also increases similarly).

At least, I think that's what my physics teacher told me - and I think he was old enough to have got it from that nice Mr Newton...

So height = 100 feet (S)

initial Velocity = 27 MPH = 36 Feet per second ( U)

Using the equation V Squared = U squared + 2 F S

Then V Squared = 36 squared + 2x32x100

V Squared = 1296+6400

V = 87.72 Feet per second.

Using the equation V=U +FT

Then T = 87.72-36/32

T = 1.61 Seconds

First time I have done one of these calculations since 1965---the height could be wrong Pete and hence this calculation!