Which first kit?

Tony Kenny

HI All,

So I finally got into the hobby after years of trying. I built a glider from a kit 20 odd years ago but never flew it. That's long since gone and I'm ready to try again after getting the bug doing some recent repairs.

I'd like to build something that's different to the models I have already, so maybe a low wing, or scale, or a larger glider, 2.5m or above.

Not sure if I want to work with wood, carbon or foam. Having only a passing understanding of the difference between them all, I'm not sure which way to go or which kits to have a look at.

My plan after building from a kit would be to build from a plan the following year and then learn to design my own plane after that.

Any suggestion on which materials to work with and any beginner kits ?

Final question, there was a plan in RCME circa 1995/6 that had a forward swept soarer plan. Anybody remember that or have it kicking around?

regards,

Tony

Advert

Tony, welcome to a form of self inflicted pain. If you are truly sure, to minimise the pain, note minimise is the operative word, get hold of a flyer who can teach. Probably in you local club. And then take your masters advice as to what to buy. A club is also a good source to second hand gear.

But don't dive in at the deep end. You will sink.

If you can't do the teached fly route, come back and there are other ways. But the pain, expense, and grief levels are higher.

But despite the pain, the pleasure makes it worth it, sometimes.

Hi Percy,

The learning to fly bit is already well under way and due to make an attempt on the A-cert fairly soon. On the sim I'm able to pull off inverted figure-8s and low passes without too many upsets.

I already fly a Flyzone Sensei and today I was sloping with a Phoenix 2000 in winds topping 30mph+ though my landings on soaring are a little, er, 'rough'. But on the patch, landings are acceptable and without any mishaps, so far. So, if I build, I'd like to build a plane that will be a bit more of a challenge to fly than a trainer.

I will check in with the club I fly with and see if anybody has any suggestions.

Electric all the way!

You need a model that helps your flying progress not the eye catching scale model. A Wot4 might be the right model but real aeromodelling is building from kits or from scratch not just assembling an ARTF job so buy the kit not ARTF if you want to actually build a model.

You might want to check out the kits and plan packs from DB Sport & Scale

Consider the Ghost Rider or Sky Rider plan packs with sets of laser cut ribs as a cheaper way than full kits.

SLEC also do kits and are suppliers of the fittings needed. Consider the SLEC FunFly or Limbo Dancer in either ic or electric versions.

Hi tony

from your first post you said you want a challange and a build that will set you up from building from a plan and that would be a FAIRCHILD PT-19 CORNELL from apache aviation which is available from slec now it is a good build and a lovely flyer which can be pushed to do nice scale aerobatics and more , it hase no vices, realy easy flyer, don't be put off by the fact it has flaps which is fun to lean about the afects of using them. and I had one for quite a few years and I flew it so much i wore it out (really i did). (and wots are realy commoncooldevil)

as for gliders what do you want scale wood sloper type or a fibre modern type? the list is huge

Edited By flight1 on 11/06/2017 19:42:17

Posted by Donald Fry on 11/06/2017 20:18:42:

It was a fine flyer. It did not survive a midair early in its (I had hoped) long career. I, after the collision, hoped it was not the end, but the hope ended when the tailplane fell off a few seconds after collision. Game of blood.

yes it goes like that sometimes

Edited By flight1 on 11/06/2017 20:35:23

Like Percy I can vouch for the Seagull Challenger being a fine model and easy and forgiving to fly. I would however look at the you tube videos re building it. They really are very well done and will help you in putting it together. The excellent build manual that comes with it suddenly becomes very vague re building the fuselage. Also look at the rcme review as well as the chains on this very forum

Not sure about the elctrilfy but I can say I only really learned to fly with a Chris Foss Acrowot - low wing, pretty, and to my mind at least. still the best sport plane ever designed.

In my view, if you have mastered the basics, you can't do better.

BUT fgs, stick an IC in it and really experience what its all about.....

JMTC

Tim

Ah Tim has reminded me " The best sport plane ever". That will be the Gangster 63

The 63 lite is every bit as good as its predecessors and a good kit to boot. Very light and well suited to electric with a 4s 650 watt set up. Dont expect to find a low wing sport model like the Acrowot or Gangster to be a challenge after a trainer, nothing is more challenging than a traditional trainer. The challenge however is that they will let you stretch yourself to do more challenging things. btw my avatar is a 63 lite electric

Edited By gangster on 12/06/2017 09:50:30

It's not worth choosing a scale model for a first kit build! Needs far to much time on all the fiddly details compared to a sports model. It's unlikely to get finished! Far better to learn the craft of building on a sports model.

Choosing one of the simpler models built as a Mass Build over the last few years might be a good idea.   Check out the various Mass Build threads here on the forum and that will show some of the problems and how they were overcome. If you choose one of the designs built previously then still post request for advice on the thread and no doubt someone will offer sound advice.

Edited By kc on 12/06/2017 10:13:53

This was my DB Sport and Scale Mascot from their very good quality kit range. I know it looks like a trainer but this was my favourite 'do everything' aircraft. Very easy to build, semi-symmetrical wing, good trike u/c and tough as old boots. I pancaked mine 3 times while learning spins, until I found out you have to push the stick forward to get out of a spin, and the Mascot flat spins beautifully with the c of g rearwards. The only damage was broken props, bent landing gear and slight damage to the leading edge where the banded on wings had skewed and hit the fuselage. A bit skittish when inverted but only because I had built the wing with the amount of dihedral needed for a trainer. If you build one flatten it out a bit. I did not fit the very nice cowl that comes with it but it would look good with electrics. Notice the servos for elevator and rudder are in the rear fuselage to get the c of g back. You may not need this with lighter electrics. Mine eventually died after a Spektrum brown-out while doing inverted circuits at about 30 feet - not enough time to recover. It still would have been repairable but I was moving on to bigger petrol engines. Lots of other good advice above and the Seagull kits are innovative in construction and look great.

DB Mascot 1

Edited By Philflyer on 12/06/2017 10:45:28

"Any suggestion on which materials to work with and any beginner kits ?"

Pegasus Models also do the 'Magician' which is comparable size & characteristics to the Acrowot. The design has been around for as long as the Acrowot and is as good a flyer. Also quite keenly priced! Has a foam wing which is (IMO) a good thing for a new builder looking at this kind of model, as it removes the "building an accurate symmetrical wing" problem.

https://www.pegasusmodels.co.uk/product.asp?type=submenu&maingp=Aircraft&prodid=994298&offset=16#.WT5uspLyuUk

Edited By Nigel R on 12/06/2017 11:36:47

Posted by flight1 on 11/06/2017 19:41:19:

Hi tony

from your first post you said you want a challange and a build that will set you up from building from a plan and that would be a FAIRCHILD PT-19 CORNELL from apache aviation which is available from slec now it is a good build and a lovely flyer which can be pushed to do nice scale aerobatics and more , it hase no vices, realy easy flyer, don't be put off by the fact it has flaps which is fun to lean about the afects of using them. and I had one for quite a few years and I flew it so much i wore it out (really i did). (and wots are realy commoncooldevil)

as for gliders what do you want scale wood sloper type or a fibre modern type? the list is huge

Thanks for the link flighty one, this plane has always been on my to do list and as I've nearly finished my chipmunk, and the astro hog won't take too long, I'll probably get one to build in the autumn/winter.

One question, will a laser 80 be too heavy up front?

Looks like you have two separate requirements here. One for your next model and one for a build challenge. Maybe the plan should be to go for one of the quicker build kits that have been mentioned. Then settle yourself down over winter for a build either from plan or kit that will let you really get your teeth into the building thing. Not wishing to put a negative thought but it is always good to have a second model up and running in the hanger. Especially for all the great flying weather we are about to have. At least o suppose there are always artfs for emergency replacement

Posted by Braddock, VC on 12/06/2017 11:49:33:
Posted by flight1 on 11/06/2017 19:41:19:

Hi tony

Thanks for the link flighty one, this plane has always been on my to do list and as I've nearly finished my chipmunk, and the astro hog won't take too long, I'll probably get one to build in the autumn/winter.

One question, will a laser 80 be too heavy up front?

Hi braddock

just seen you question about the PT 19 i had a saito 91 squeezed in up front oddles of power, so i think the laser 80 would be the perfect choice for this plane

I'd almost forgotten about the Gangster - I had a 42", a 52 and a 63 when I was starting out and the 63 was certainly a very nice model, as was the 52, but the 42 rather less so...

To be fair, the Gangster 63 Lite build would be a better grounding than the Acrowot, as the Gangster is all built up while the Acrowot kit uses foam wings.

The Magician is a tad smaller at 50" span, and in my view rather more twitchy than the 62" Acrowot and certainly the Gangster.

Edited By TIM Shaw on 12/06/2017 14:39:52