Max Riot Motor alternatives

Hi all, after nearly 2 years of enjoying my Max Riot, one of the elevators became unstuck in flight and now we have need for a new motor. The model itself is remarkable in how strong it is, all repairs complete within an hour excepting the prop driver and motor ( a crude bell housing affair). Even though I ,may have to cut about and make a new mounting arrangement I have come to the conclusion that I want a better motor with a a little more power and finer manufacturing

I would be most grateful for all contributions and ideas particularly for those who have changed their motors for either 3 or 4 cell operation, I currently have a 40 AMP esc, CENTURIES STANDARD WITH THE AIRCRAFT

Advert

The HK Donkey motors are very similar. I have a 730kv item in my Riot, running on 4S LiPo's and spinning an APC 12x8 prop. Pulls 35A on the ground, presumably less in the air. A 12x6 APC pulls 29A. Standard original ESC.

I agree the motor's rather unsophistcated but in the air I can't fault it.

Brian

Edited By Brian Spearing on 14/06/2017 16:02:49

The original motor looks like a Donkey with a Century label. It has a kv of about 850 IIRC, to suit a 3S LiPo.
So the 730kv alternative would be less powerful for the same prop and battery, but put a 4S in (and chuck away the iron bar that's in the Riot's nose) and maybe change to a 12x8 prop, and the Riot becomes a very entertaining machine.

Incidentally I don't believe HK's figures for current draw.

Brian

Motor ordered from Hobbyking. I will post my findings when all is complete and flying report is underway. In my opinion the Riot is a

Model aircraft that will be remembered in this EPO foam age. It will fly as an initial trainer, aerobatic trainer, and if this motor works out, a performance to maybe match its name.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but thought this might be useful so here goes.

After a years use the motor on my riot started being a bit more noisy than usual, it has had one unscheduled arrival nose first some time ago and the bearings needed a touch of oil recently. Careful examination showed that the shaft was very slightly bent so I decided to replace the motor.

Wasn't keen on buying a direct replacement as the quality of the original didn't look great so I measured up the available space and had a look at the 4-max web site. The 3541 1070 kv looked like a good choice from the dimensions and specs so one was ordered on Sunday. It was packed and despatched on Monday and arrived at lunchtime today.

Good news is that it's a direct swap, even uses the original motor mount so no new holes to drill.

Measurements before and after the transplant using a 12x6 APC E prop are:

Original motor: 29 Amps, 325W, 1.3Kg thrust

4-Max motor 37A 400W, 1.5-1.6Kg thrust

So, very happy, especially with the speed of delivery and the quality of the components.

dsc_0307[1].jpg

dsc_0309[1].jpg

OK, two flights this morning, it was a little windy so rather more use of the throttle than usual.

The timer on my Tx is set to 6 minutes and with the original motor if I land when the timer goes off I've got around 33% or so left in a 2200 mAh battery.

First flight, mainly just flying around with a bit of basic aerobatics thrown in to check that there were no nasty surprises, it was fine. Landed after 6 minutes, around 30% left.

Second flight, full throttle take off, vertical climb and roll, level out at a safe height and start throwing it around. Lots of use of full throttle, had great fun. Landed after 5 minutes, 14% left in the battery. ESC warm but not hot.

In summary, much better with the new motor and quieter too.

The motor is a straight swap, it's slightly lighter than the original but when installing be aware that you have some rotating motor shaft passing through the same hole in the motor bulkhead as the motor wires so make sure that they don't touch. I would suggest mounting the motor with the wires entering the fuselage at the top rather than the bottom to maximise clearance or cut the shaft down.

It's a shame that the battery box is so small, it would be nice if you could fit a 4000 3s in it. Other than that no complaints.

A 4000 might be pushing it, but I fit a 3200 3s in mine without modification. It's the one H-K sell as Eflite compatible so it's got an EC3 connector. These are a legacy from my Apprentice with which I came back in to the hobby a few years ago.

It is a squeeze (you have to poke the connector down (up?) into the void where the esc sits, but having done that it's a nice snug fit.

I set my timer at 10 minutes (lack of concentration sets in after this) but there is normally 50 - 55% left so I reckon I could go to 15 minutes if I wanted to.

Kim

Hi all, if you go back to the beginning of this string, I began this and the net result is the motor recommended by Brian is really good and still giving 7minutes with 2500mm 4 cell packs and leaving 3,7volts per cell. I hope the Donkey motor is still available. I also took the metal block out of the nose and push my cells back to the wing to move the c of g back, making a perfect responsive aircraft. I first noticed the c of g could go back when I threw a prop in flight on the old motor and 3 cell packs, as she glided down in a really flat glide. I hope this helps, the Riot is a fantastic all round aircraft. Cheers all.