'Like' button

Andrew Mawman

i often read the build blogs with great interest and admire the quality of build, innovation and finish achieved by many of the contributors. i am not however necessarily going to write my support for them. i would like to suggest a "like' button such as is used on Facebook that would acknowledge my interest and encourage further contributions. I am not a IT person and have no idea if this could be done.

Advert

I like this site and the forum, great pool of knowledge.

However the forum has not changed much in the years that I've been using it, and it's most definitey not mobile friendly at all. There's been many suggestions etc., but nothing ever comes of them.

Its not about what we "want" to do Steve, its more about what development resources are available to us and the flexibility of the platform.

The software the forum is based on is quite old now. Basically the only way we could significantly update this interface would be to migrate to new software. But we have an enormous heritage database the moving and integration of which would have major cost imlpications. Now I'm not saying that will never happen - TBH I don't know I don't work for MTM! - but you don't have to be a genius to work out if you did a cost/benefit analysis on the investment required I can't see it stacking up so well and fuelling a great business case - can you? I mean think about it, we don't pay for this, yes there is advertising income that contributes to the cost, but I can't see it covering a major new software and migration project. So what case could be put forward to pay for that, especially given the fact that some members on here proudly post "of course I don't buy any magazines considering them all to be a waste of money",....that sort of thing really doesn't help, "biting the hand that feeds you" springs to mind! wink 2

BEB

Hi BEB and all..

I wasn't asking for a total redesign (I work in IT, I have set up modelling sites and have worked with SQL programmers too ) but as Cymaz states - user friendly.

As far as a business case, sure it does not stack up however was this not planned for when it was set up? Developments? Enhancements? Maintenance? I do subscribe to the magazine as well, with pleasure. Asking for donations is always perhaps fraught with problems, as there will be those who will not or cannnot contribute of course, however it does need to move on, compared to other forums.

My guess is that it was all hard coded at the time; perhaps before the advent of VBulletin and other forum platforms. By 'costs' you may well be referring to the migration costs to another platform? If anyone here remembers 'Flying Sites' - that didn't move on for the same reason. I'm certainly not wishing anything like this on here!

Perhaps put a vote up asking for contributions to enhance the site? Crowdfunding? I'll contribute. I've spent some years on here asking for advice.

BEB - thank you for taking the time to reply .