Amethyst glider

Tom Thomas

Posted by onetenor on 04/09/2017 22:58:51:

That Ninja flyer was very naughty by flying so close to the hang gliders.

Don't panic, the parapenters were friends of mine (we drove out to the ridge together) and also RC pilots and everything was carefully choreographed with plenty of separation. I also used to fly hang-gliders in my younger days.

tauwhare soaring.jpg

I'm waiting for my local Inexcess to restock they're epoxy, £ 1-99 a pop it's great and cheap so worth waiting for.

Need to order some rare earth magnets for the canopy and the hinge tape (thanks for the advice on that!)

Then it will be the maiden, so until, the maiden I'll sign off on this one hope you pop in on my new build, I know..... But idle hands etc devil

Thanks for following gents laugh yes

• 1 month later...

Little update, have used the crystal tape (thank you to those that pointed me to it) to reinforce the hinges.

Have also permenantly joined the wings together.

The rare earth magnets I ordered were too small so for now I've used two thin dowels either side with a band to hold it, not pretty I know but it works.

Cut the name from film tonight and added it to the wing then noticed that the bands overlap it.... Doh!...... Still you get the idea!.

So, all that's left to do is balance her and await the maiden, probably going to be in the spring but well see!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi Tom,

In answer to your question, Yes I have had one of these. I bought mine new back in 1985 so that gives you an idea of how long since those came out. Mine had the same box as yours too.

I kept it as the original 2 channel design & had a lot of fun with it. It flew quite well off the Great Orme (my local slope) I did a couple of slight mods to it, one was to make the rudder 1/2 inch wider and I made a fibreglass canopy for it as the original clear plastic one eventually split. I used the original canopy to make a mould for the new one before it split too far

You can see mine here -

277686_10150220714755738_1610475_o.jpg

279400_10150220714300738_2356324_o.jpg

There is also a video of one on Youtube.  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EihWGK8Sslk

Good luck with yours, I know you'll enjoy it.

Mark

Edited By Mark Stevens 1 on 13/10/2017 01:50:05

Posted by Tom Thomas on 13/10/2017 02:46:09:

Wow mark, looks great! I see you opted for rubber bands on the canopy too.

Just watched the vid and it flies fantastically, I'm looking forward to the maiden, but I'm going to use my Wildthing for experience first.

Thanks for sharing mark yes

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the kind comments, Yes I did opt for the rubber bands for keeping the canopy on - as well as the wings, No-one is going to notice them once it's up there airbourne lol

I don't think you will have any problems flying this one, it was easy enough on the 2 channel set up when I had it, now you have ailerons on yours it should be a much better flyer. On reflection, I think it should have been an aileron / elevator design from the start - it could have still been 2 channels but even much better to fly.

You've seen the video of the original, forget the Wildthing and get yours up there. I would love to see some footage of yours with the aileron set up

Mark.

Edited By Mark Stevens 1 on 14/10/2017 04:27:14

Hi Tom,

Love the pics of the finished model. It may be an 80's design but it looks up to date with the scheme.

Can't say I blame you holding off flying it until you have some stick time in. The wait will be more than worth it as you are bound to end up having oh so much more fun.

I was chatting to a friend of mine who built one who told me that he made his a little bit more nose heavy which made it less floaty and more agile.