Amethyst glider

Tom Thomas

I have not seen one of these kits for years. Are you going to build it for slope or thermal? I have not seen any sloped but of the two I know of both went up off towline nicely.

If memory serves me right these were about in the early 80's and the design the late 70's. Couple of guys in my old club built them before they got Sonatas. Design was good in its day to get you into flying.

Hi nightflyer, thanks for the reply

The cartoon that comes in the box of a less than perfect factory image is signed 83,

I've been weighing up adding the ailerons or not, the instructions do detail how to do this.

Do you think it will slope OK as a 2 channel? I don't want to bother with ailerons really, I'll save aileron control for a simple flying wing.

The build instructions need a bit more attention and re-reading before cutting as its really old school and needs a bit more concentration than modern models.

But, yes I'll be sloping it.

Also included is an old catalogue of other models, like the freshman which I built years ago, and the Telemaster range, I will post some images from it here, very retro!

I would strongly recommend adding ailerons if you are planning on sloping the Amethyst. It looks to have a fairly flat dihedral and will respond well to aileron control.

Sloping a two channel glider in anything but very light conditions is, at best, character building and, at worst, downright terrifying. Response times are slow and you run the risk of a total loss of control when landing in turbulent conditions. The model should handle the extra weight with ease and you will get a much more agile model which will be able to do rolls as well as loops. It wouldn't hurt to add some carbon strips onto the wing spar set up to give a bit of added resilience.

Look forward to some pics as you progress.

I built a similar vintage Sorcerer glider a while back and found it pretty sluggish with the RE set-up - adding ailerons really transformed it's performance.

tauhara.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 07/08/2017 06:36:20

Yes Steve, there are two gliders named named Amethyst, the West Wing in the vid and Tom's one that was manufactured by Premier Balsa Products Ltd.

The Amethyst crystal is said to be a meditative stone which works in the emotional, spiritual and physical planes to promote calm, balance and peace - hopefully the gliders have the same effect.smiley

Hi Tom Thomas 2,

Well as to whether you want to fit sometime or not good question. I thought it was designed as 2 channel. It should slope well as a 2 channel but ailerons would liven the performance but depends what instructions say and don't forget to reduce the dihedral.

The two that were used for thermal soaring were 2 channel.

Hi John, yes there is another one with the same name but it's older in design I believe.

Kiwi kid, I hope it has a calming effect!

Nightflyer, instructions say to decide before building the wing wether you want ailerons or not, I think it says that 2 channel dihedral is 96 degrees and 3 channel 93 or something in that area anyway, I'm undecided at the moment to be honest.

The build instructions are a little confusing in they're explainations because it's all " glue number 46 to number 71"

Which translates in today's terms as " glue cap strip 1 to inner board sheeting", if you see what I mean.

But slow n steady wins the race and all that wink

Looking good Tom.

About six years ago a mate and I built some Sig Ninja slopers - another "back in the day" glider which is a similar layout to the Amethyst, but with a slightly shorter wingspan. Great flyer and I often haul mine out for a rip around the slope. Here's a short vid of the maiden flight - you can see the agility that ailerons provide.

**LINK**

ninjas.jpg

The addition of ailerons will really make sloping more enjoyable for you. Love the build pics looks good so far. I think you will find it a lovely model for flying. For me much as it is nice to see these EPP and epoxy glass fuselage jobs that you can get now, I think that glider designs of the 70's into the early 80's using balsa led to some lovely models which you could build ... and repair readily.

Nearly finished one wing, going very well, it's such a simple wing to build, but all this "glue 74 (sheeting) to 45 50 and 51 (ribs) between 74 and 45 ( main spar and trailing edge) is slowing me up because I'm triple checking all the numbers instead of reading the terms I'm used to!.

image.jpeg

Fues started tonight, each side needed sanding a bit to get them even.

The sides do not exactly match the plan lines, but I get the idea.

More woodworm damage discovered, this time in a length of 3/16 square longeron, but I have a spare sheet of 3/16 so I shall make up the shortage from that.

I know this isn't a detailed or very interesting blog, but it isn't meant to be, just some updates on the progress.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Installed the supplied snakes, it's plastic outer and wire inner, secured with small cable ties to balsa cross members and epoxied.

A thick balsa slab (for want of a better word) is glued to the front underside section, I should have glued the nose block slightly proud of the underside, but it's ok as when the "slab" is shaped per plane a bit of 3/16 sheet will sort it.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Well, fuselage is finished bar push rod exit covers, Canopy needs tidying, I'm going to use magnets to secure it.

Nose took a while to get right but I'm happy with it now.

One of the very last things to do will be to trim the rear of the canopy to fit the wing profile which the instructions advise "trial and error" .... Helpful!

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg