English Electric Canberra 50

Geoff Parkes

I have just finished and flown my Canberra B8, it is from a new supplier- English Electric Jets, designed by John Simpson, the span is approx. 50 inches and it looks near scale , apart from the slightly increased nacells for the 50 mm fans, the kit comes with all main items laser cut, the best part of the model is the method of construction, all the jigs needed to complete the model are laser cut leaving you just to cyno together, but the best part is the fuselage is not only built in a jig but all formers line up on 2 carbon fibre tubes thus ensuring that it is almost impossible not to build a true frame, the centre fuselage formers run out spanwise to incorporate the nacells thus ensuring there are no incidence problems, the wing "tips" are also jig built with the washout allowed for , the tailplane is attached to the rear of the fuselage by yet another carbon rod and a jig to ensure the right dihedral for the tailplane, all this is done while the whole item is located in a central jig which is secured to your building board. the nacells are planked along with the fuselage-this seems to take forever! the prototype used Lander 10 blade 3300 kv fans , but I opted for the chain sun 10 blade 4200kv units , these are slightly more powerfull on 4 s and being plastic are lighter.The end result being the plane can be hand launched, and after a slight c of g problem has a good range of speed and looks true in the air , as you can tell I am well pleased with my new jet and would recommend it to any one interested in early British Jets.

Advert

Interesting website. Looking at their prices I thought 20 pounds for plans was OK but another 20 pounds extra for instructions seemed a bit steep! But checking the total price for all the bits seems to reveal an error in the total, so maybe it is a misprint and should read just 2 pounds for the instructions instead of 20 which would make sense.

Geoff - let us see a photo of the completed model

Edited By kc on 30/08/2017 10:57:02

Posting photos is easy but they have to be in JPEG format. First you have to upload them to your album (at the top of the page when you are logged in) not forgetting to click the button after selecting them and then use the 'camera' ikon when you are posting a message.

We look forward to seeing the plane.......

Very nice model and looks to fly well from the video. Never heard of this company before. I wonder if some small retracts would work if you had tarmac or really close cut grass to fly from? My HK Vampire manages ok from our nice grass patch when it's been freshly cut.

Hi Chaps there will be a lightning available soon as well will keep you posted. The 50 inch Canberra is not quite built the same but does have retracts, both the small and large canberras are excellent for pss as well as dual fans. Geoffs was the second kit and flies really well, he has made a beautiful job of it and its every bit a canberra in the air.

Kind regards

Rob Bloor

• 3 months later...

Hi Chaps

John Simpson here, sorry i haven't posted earlier, Rob Bloor has put me on to the thread. Really nice to see the comments on Canberra 50 from Geoff, it is a model I am very pleased with as it flies so well and really looks the part in the air (pictures Geoff?). English Electric Models is our enthusiast operation to bring kits and plans of classic jets to the discerning market. Progress is a little slower than i would like as 'real life', (family taxi duties and day job) keep getting in the way but the next Canberra for 70mm EDF is now nearing completion. Anyway, to address a few comments in the thread: the wing section for Canberra 50 is scale ( RAE/D 12% at the root) and symmetrical, the same for the smaller 40mm EDF I built first and the 70mm in prep. The glide is outstanding , with a large chord and large area and very clean design it just sails on and on. The span of Can 50 is 44", Canberra 70 is 63" span. it doesn't sound like much more but really is a much bigger plane, the wings are now detachable with carbon tube spar, retracts and built up fin and tailplane, The tailplane itself is 27" span and would fly on its own.... Probably about 3-4 x the part count and work compared with the 50. Fitting retracts in the 50 would be a challenge because there isn't much room between the nacelle and fuselage, it is much more practical on the 70.

The Hornets don't quite for the bill of being British and 50s classic jet, being neither, but I just like them. Hornet 70 is going really well and is sized just right for the power unit. Hornet 50 flies very smoothly but is slightly lacking in area ( its is smaller relative to the fan size than Hornet 70, which came later and got scaled up as a result) so landings are more white knuckle . Both have a wing which is 5mm Depron, skinned in balsa. Not ideal for kitting so the intention is that these will be plans, and Hornet 50 now needs to be scaled up 10% to lower the wing loading. I will only kit or plan a design I am happy with.

There is indeed a Lightning in the works as Rob mentions. I have had the prototypes laser cut, just need to test to make sure the loading and thrust lines are good before the first production batch.

Aside from these there are plenty more drawn up , including a few Glosters and a Yorkshire twin jet. Drop us a line on the web site, I try and answer all comms , just forgive any slight delay if i am receiving domestic guidance at the time.

Regards

John S