Hobbyking J3 cub kit

Hope I'm in the right forum ? I have bought one of the HK J3 1180mm kits to practice my techniques on and am having a bit of a time with the appalling instructions ( tiny pictures and chinglish) . Nevertheless I am enjoying it but have never used the thin vacuum formed cowls before - two questions 1. How do you cut it accurately ? 2. If you cut successfully how do finish it ? Paint or covering ? If it's paint does it need anything to adhere to it or just car shop spray . If I made a bog of cutting it could you get iron covering to adhere ? Sorry for dim questions but only started again after a 40 year layoff and things have changed. Nice build pictures on another forum but he used a different cowl , any pointers appreciated.

Brian I either repeatedly score the moulding with a new straight edged blade in the modelling knife or use a small pair of scissors to cut it.

To finish I paint with plastic enamel or acrylic. Car paint may work but try on a scrap piece first.

I would not recommend trying to cover with film, the cowl will distort with the heat of the iron. Something like Solartrim is self adhesive so is applied cold but will not go around compound curves.

I recently painted some lightweight plastic cowl mouldings, and since I'm used to plastic construction kits it was no problem. I use airbrushes (Iwata) but very careful use of aerosols should do - they tend to be rather fierce and chuck out too much paint to be easily controllable... Etch the plastic lightly with fine wet & dry, use a decent primer, finish with the colour of your choice (applied in gentle layers, slowly built up), coat with clear gloss or matt varnish. I use acrylics, less nasty to spray than spirit-based enamels. Tamiya make some very good primers, and Vallejo are generally the paints I use on top - Vallejo also do a good aerosol-based clear acrylic laquer. Take your time, allow to dry thoroughly between coats, and for best results rub down gently in between coats as well.

If it is a thin plastic vacuum formed cowl then Park Flyer Plastics have some good instruction sheets on line. I've attached one I've used with good results. Basically, cut the cowl out approximately to the line, then slide it over a sanding block to remove the flange.

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/pdf/pilot%20instructions.pdf

Posted by Brian Dorricott 1 on 08/09/2017 22:53:40:

Think I mentioned 1180mm span the small one

Sorry Brian you did , advice above is good . I used B and Q paint match service using Matt emulsion it goes on really smoothly lightly sanded then rustoleum clear gloss lacquer