Spitfire Aerial fitting ideas

Ian Moody

Hi Everyone, I have a Tony Nijhuis Spitfire 72 and would like to fit a Radio mast/aerial to it but want it to be 'knock off able' in case I tip the airframe on its back or hit it with my arm etc when rigging it. I have seen a few ideas in the past with springs as the base or screwing it into a blind nut or even using an pencil eraser.

Has anyone used or seen a great idea used that protects the airframe should it get knocked off please

Cheers Ian

Advert

I have fitted aerials masts on a few models that plug in early and if caught on anything just bend and are easily bent back to shape. I make the aerial from a piece of bike spoke or threaded rod that you use for servo linkages etc. You can use piano wire but it's not as forgiving. Then laminate wood to this and sand to shape of aerial mast leaving a couple of inches of wire protruding from the bottom. I then push some snake inner over the wire ,this needs to be a tight push on fit.. I then drill a pilot hole in the the fuz where aerial is to be fitted and glue a shaped hard balsa , hardwood or ply block inside the fuz using the pilot hole as a guide . You could make the mounting block from laminated balsa for lightness. Make the block a reasonable size to spread the load .Then drill block when glue has set to accept a short length of shake outer and glue in the hole just below surface a of fuz .this forms a socket so needs to be firm. The aerial then just plugs in and is easily removed for transit . If the aerial is loose in the socket the wire plug in bit can be bent slightly to tighten it. Sorry for the long description force quick easy job.

Hi,

My solution was to create a slightly larger pocket for the aerial and put a small amount of silicone sealer in. Then push the antenna in having first thinly coated the base with a non stick substance such as Vaseline and leave until it has cured. Be sure to have cleaned up any surplus silicone. The antenna can then be puled out leaving a flexible pocket for the antenna.

Adrian

Hi Ian,

Try this - it works successfully for me without blowing off or moving in flight. See pictures:-

Glue magnets into fuse. Cover with cling film. Attach two more magnets over the cling film. Make a paste from epoxy and mico balloon and mould into rough shape over the magnets. Remove when cured. finish shape, make slot for plywood aerial and glue into position . Voila!20170911_120952_resized.jpg.20170911_120931_resized.jpg

Edited By Pickygit on 11/09/2017 12:30:54

Edited By Pickygit on 11/09/2017 12:34:55

Edited By Pickygit on 11/09/2017 12:35:35