Electric ducted fan models

Phil Winks

Advert

Tom  I look forward to following that I've got a few of their models and as a dyed in the wool builder find them fun can't wait to see how their edf kits compare. Have you tried the Eze Fan yet David (think the names right was a free plan in the mag) my understanding is that it can be upgraded to give blistering performance

Hi Phil, its a very well designed kit, its just that there are so many bits, its going to take a long time. Yesterday I started building at 10:00 a.m. and when I gave up at 7:00 p.m. all I had to show for my efforts was two inlet ducts, a nozzle outlet duct and the nose framework. Still at least I'll get plenty of building practise. My last plan built model was a Guppy glider I downloaded the plan off a thread on RCgroups. I put about 50 hours into that build. I think the Hawk might take longer!

can follow you on the scale thing David however I'm also looking for a cheap intro and given that most of the building materials are already in the "shed" probability is that I'd only need fan motor and esc which i will also need on top of the cost of a foamie. obviously I'll go that route eventually also correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing your not that much of a balsa basher more of a means to an end rather than an integral part of the fun like myself

Great   EDF Thread   Have built the EZE-fan scaled up to 36 inch span .With a 4s Electrolite 2200 mAh lipo AP 700 fan unit  giving over 400 W I have run it up in the house & it will hang in the air when held vertical .Scared stiff to fly it yet  .65 today & reflexes aren't what they were My cheapo Hawk is ready too but thats for even later! -Same edf  type. Only started out on this tack cos a certain moderator happened to say something  .Pass Any tips welcome ! Am on futaba 2.4 by the way for these two.

Re  -  120 %  size EZEFAN  (area wise)- 36"  span

- Weighed it on "proper "scales & it is actually 820  gms  .The wing area is 255 sq in  giving a wing loading of  16.4 oz / sq ft   lower than the original -which was the general idea anyway considering I actually have 415 watts available giving 229 watts /lb  max. .I am actually extending the  nose by another inch and a half to get CG spot on without adding any church roof .This has been necessary of course 'cos the elevator servo's moment arm is more influencial than the weight of the 4s lipo (2200 mAh) moved up by an inch or so .I mention this in case any one else is thinking of scaling up so as to bear it in mind .

Apologies for mixing up proper measures with metric

Sorry Phil  I didn't make it very clear .What I mean is the moment arm of the weight of the tail/servo at the rear end  .The double size pine "backbone " doesn.t  help either !.  Incidentally I made up the wing ribs sheeted etc  not solid sheet as per original   basically 'cos  I didn't have any thick sheet in stock soft enough 

got you Myron From all you've told us I think that it should be a peach to fly and capable of somewhat slower speeds than the original making landing approach some what easier. just been thinking the recent free plan fling wing would be a good subject for a similar DF set up just need to equip it with twin tail fins and a longer nose to allow the bty to balance the extra weight of a DF unit sat where the original tail fin is. Hmm might just be a project for this winter better put it on my todo list

Hi Phil   .

Am now in the process of moving the ESC further forward ( about 6 inches  ) & mounting it under the wing & deepening the skid on the fuselage (to protect it) -but to do that I'll have to extend the three wires from the motor to the ESC ! Am not that bad at soldering but being as I have enough silicone type wire I am wondering whether its dodgy changing the joints on the ESC ? rather than making up extension leads ( &  I havn't got the neccessary male 3.5 mm gold ends to do it). I might start a thread on what its dangerous to solder on these bits as they're done in factory conditions on assembly .Either do that or find a Chinese girl friend ?   I have a 40 watt iron . What do you reckon 'cos ESC's aren't cheap as you know !    It's a 45 amp Hifie . If I had designed it  (ezefan) I would have installed the EDF round about the CG point & am sorely tempted to build another fuselage to my own requirements with better entry conditions to the EDF unit etc. ie no sharp angles  I  would also incorporate cooling holes here & there & mount the ESC inside the front pod ..What do you think ?

PS  Keep me informed on latest ideas for the Fling mods .I too like the idea & I'm in the mood to build something completely different  .PSS Am even thinking of a "hybrid" ic & EDF combined to emulate the original fan concept used for the original Harriers ! Food for thought & innovation Eh! 

now then the trust vectoring of the harrier how about 4 DF units that can be swiveled in flight. may be mounted in the wing.for the front pair and a pair either side of the fuselage in front of the tail plane some kind of thrust variation might be needed to ensure longitudinal stability maybe mixed from the elevator channel. would possibly help in horizontal flight also. the hardest part would be the transition from horizontal flight to the hover. a computer tx with multiple flight modes for a single model might be a help. Also occurs to me that 2 channels acting on the throttle would be necessary to allow allow front motors to be controlled separately from the rear. You can be sure that some one has tried this before so the info must be out there somewhere.

As for soldering direct to the esc if your at all unsure I'd extend the motor leads by soldering to the existing and covering the joint with heat shrink tubing. I would advise that you do not extend the battery to esc leads at all in fact if possible shorten them and keep them equal this appears to be a prime suspect in the electronic noise generation that can cause so many problems.

If you decide on a redesign and do opt to put the esc in the fuselage yes you would need to allow some cooling however in the fling wing I've installed a 30amp esc more than double the requirement and with no cooling slots at full chat for 3 mins in a static test it barely got warm and that's running at just under 130W drawing 12amps from a 1300 3s LiPo. the esc by the way is from Giant Cod and weighs little more than their 20amp one the min I would fit on that power train