Vintage Free Flight Model

I have mentioned this plane before which was created in 1947, the same year I was born. The plane was produced by Southern Junior Models of Brighton and it appears it has also been produced by Cambrian Models and updated to accept radio control. My original plane which I acquired from a school colleague for seven shillings and sixpence disappeared on it's first flight from Epsom Downs in September 1962. I still have the original pressed metal wheels and balsa cowling to suit a Super Merlin and my Nephew is sending back to me the original plan which is available from Ben Buckle. I have always promised myself I would build another Southern Dragon and was surprised to find a video of the plane last night. Anyone else built one ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF6r7-joMtw

Advert

Yes my plan would be to use a small diesel but I got rid of two Mills .75 ' years ago and the Super Merlin was lost in the Southern Dragon. The plan however shows a Mills 1.3.-- A free flight version would be great at the Nats 'Chuck and Duck' but could easily be lost as I proved years ago when I ignored the note on the plan 'Remember to put your name and address' on the plane. I assume my plane got caught in a thermal as there was only a half tank full of fuel but obviously enough for it to almost disappear as a tiny dot in the sky.

The construction of the plane is well thought out with a crutch structure to ensure the fuselage is built without distortion.

Southern Dragon scan.jpg