Do your landings need improving? Like mine do...

cymaz

Advert

Made me smile except the last as it involved a loss of life.

Now I know full size aircraft have sacrificial sections for tail strikes, but how do you explain that you have removed the paint off both wing tips!

PS My glider pilot son does not share the "go around" option !

Edited By Chris Walby on 07/01/2018 12:56:44

The AAIB monthly report continues to inspire me to practice, practice, seek advice from more experienced pilots and then buy more glue!

But I don't think glue will help with this one!

Following a further takeoff and circuit the student made an into-wind approach for a

touch‑and-go landing on the dry, grass runway. He judged his approach and touchdown

to be better than those he had previously completed but, once all three wheels were on

the ground, the aircraft veered left. The student reported that he responded by applying

right rudder and increasing power; in preparation for takeoff. However, he could not

prevent the aircraft from departing the runway to the left and travelling across an adjacent

area of long grass. He applied the brakes and thought that he reduced power but the

aircraft did not stop until it collided with a windsock pole and the propeller detached. The

student turned off the fuel and the electric master switch before exiting the aircraft, which

had pitched nose-down.

PS photo is available on request!

At the risk of turning this into a 'serious' discussion (wink), I wonder what the 'trigger' for a go around is for most of us. My instinct tells me that this is another area where flying models and flying full-size don't necessarily overlap perfectly.

While a 'perfect' glide path and approach is expected for full size, it's probably the exception rather than the norm for models, with the un-scale effect of wind-buffeting for example. If a perfectly scale approach is required, then we'd probably never get down. Models also usually have far less reserve time than full size. The energy management is also rather different.

Don't get me wrong. A better approach will almost always facilitate a better landing, and we should strive for perfection. But I find myself saying to myself: 'on this flight in history, I think this is as good an approach as it's gonna get'...

"I wonder what the 'trigger' for a go around is for most of us"

Something like (in order)

1 - Will I hit someone?

2 - Will I hit something?

3 - Will I hit the ground?

4 - Will I hit the rough?

5 - Will I hit the beers afterwards?

6 - Will I hit the spot landing target?

With a full tank/lipo I'm looking for #6, as things get progressively emptier earlier options become more acceptable... with the exception of the first two.