Horus X12S

PatMc

Advert

According to my step mother, that was my middle name

I updated my X10 to OpenTX a few weeks ago. There's a very good document somewhere that goes step by step through the procedure. The important thing is to back up the FROS before you start - just in case!

I have the instructions for the X10 as a pdf but I can't remember where I downloaded it. Do an internet search or look on the OpenTX site (http://www.open-tx.org/)

Geoff

Im on holiday right now. D8 mode is available so long as you uncheck the EU box in Companion before installing. As far a going from FrOS yes you do need a backup copy in case they ever update the transmitting module firmware but it does not have to be the most recent version. Not easy on my mobile to give a link to my docs.

Edited By Andy48 on 14/04/2018 23:10:38

I'm afraid life got in the way of my plans last week to flash OpenTx beyond reading instructions & watch a couple of Youtube vids but I made a start yesterday evening which ended with failure. Tried again today again without any luck sad so a few questions.

Q1) The OpenTx.sdcard.version number is 2.2V0013, I don't understand where/what I should check this against ?

Q2) I've downloaded the latest version of Zadig, saved it on my desktop opened it to get this window :

then I clicked the "Install WCID Driver" button.

Is that all that's required to install it & overwrite the previous version of Zadig ?

I suspect that the problems I'm having are down to the Zadig installation, I'll open a separate post to explain what's actually failing. .

Edited By PatMc on 21/04/2018 21:47:09

Hi Andy, I actually downloaded & saved your docs a few days ago. I've been refering to them as well as following the instructions in the doc by Mike Dailey and Jan Urbanek.
Q1 was regarding your doc, this may be academic now but can I take it that Section 8, p10 doesn't apply to the initial SD card download but only refers to subsequent updates ?

We can forget Q2. I was misleading in what I said I'd done, I'd gone beyond that & in fact it turns out that Zadig is correctly installed. My normal setup is a laptop with a separate monitor, USB connected keyboard & cordless mouse.Thanks to you're mention of you're printer causing Zadig to fail I unplugged everything & successfuly saved the FrOS bin file then installed OpenTx smile or so I thought...

When I switched on there were a few anomalies. I was a bit surprised to get the SD card version warning, the calibration image didn't include the sticks & although I was able to bind a model in D8 mode I discovered the Tx was in mode 1 instead of mode 2.

I realised to late that when I hit the Read Firmware from Radio button the FrOS flash memory backup SD card (created as per Mike & Jan's instructions) was in the Tx instead of the OpenTx SD card . Duhh blush

I have a copy of the flash memory in the PC so will clear the backup card & refresh it - no problem.
Advice please, if I simply insert the correct OpenTx SD card & use the Read Firmware function will that overwrite my cocked-up firmware or should I use the bin file & revert to FrOS first ?

Sorry for all the confusion, we've had an unexpectedley frantic week at home. I thought it would be no problem to do the firmware change piecemeal during quiet periods, with hindsight I should have left it another week.

The Horus is different to the Taranis in that ALL the OpenTX data is stored on the SD card, thus if you insert the correct card with your OpenTX data and then read the firmware everything should be OK. Let us know how you get on. I doubt any extra junk on the FrOS SD card will have any effect, it is probably best to leave that as it is.

What RF firmware are you using on the X12S, Pat?

I've bitten the bullet with my receivers and gone over to EU-LBT right through for my X10. It's straight forward with D and V receivers as there's no need to rewrite their firmware (in fact I don't think you can) and rewriting the X types is very easy from the Horus once you have the right .frk files loaded on the SD card in a Firmware folder. Certainly easier than with the Taranis which needs a special lead with power supply crossed over.

Mind you I've only flown a couple of models with the Horus and none of the more complicated ones with either X6R or X8R receivers. They check out OK in the workshop so I assume they'll be OK at the field but sometimes unexpected snags bite you in the nether regions evn after what you thought were thorough checks surprise

Geoff

Geoff, it's the UK version so has the EU-LBT RF firmware but since I haven't ticked the EU box in the settings I can use it with D series Rx's.

My Taranis is likewise EU-LBT with D8 mode available from the internal module but I've gone overkill with that & have a DJT external module for the benefit of half a dozen V8 Rx's that I have.

Posted by PatMc on 23/04/2018 21:40:48:

OpenTx firmware went in no problem. smile

One or two anomalies to what I expected have turned up but I hope with to be able to sort them out after a bit of reading followed by poke & hope.

Thanks for the help, Andy. thumbs up

Glad it worked. Invoice in the post! devil