Horus X12S

PatMc

Advert

Posted by Andy Meade on 31/01/2018 14:18:33:

It doesn't matter if you're on OpenTX or FrOS - if you flash the RF section with the rest-of-world firmware (which will have to be done with FrOS), you can transmit in D8 mode in either operating system.

But can you use D8 mode with EU firmware as you can with the Taranis ?

Oh, if so how ?

Edited By PatMc on 31/01/2018 14:54:15

Yes, just bind in D8 mode, but I know for sure that option is not there on FrOS EU version.

I can't see how "illegal" it is, seeing as no one has come round to my house asking for my old DFT modules, but understand legislation is there to stop people selling new items without the "LBT" firmware.

LBT is listen before transmit, which means non-euro and older kit will transmit on a frequency when turned on without checking to see if that specific frequency is clear or not. A particular problem in modern frequency-hopping systems.

Edited By Andy Meade on 31/01/2018 15:11:17

Posted by PatMc on 31/01/2018 15:25:16:

Bob, I'm thinking of getting a Horus X12S [or possibly a X10s] so just to be clear - are you saying that you have a Horus using EU firmware and with D8 mode capability ?

I have both a Taranis and a Horus running LBT, both are on OpenTX and both are or have been bound to D and VxR-II receivers in D8 mode.

Please don't send the LBT police round face 7

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 31/01/2018 15:40:58

Posted by Don Fry on 31/01/2018 15:19:55:

So the restriction is there to reduce the chance of interfering with another user. Is there a reason why this is a bad idea?

The EU restrictions are a political decision rather than a technical one. The whole point of spread spectrum is that systems employing it don't interfere with each other. However, when it was introduced in Europe, the original specification was so badly drafted that every country interpreted them differently! The head honcho of the EU equivalent of Ofcom held a summit meeting at which he read the riot act to those who had drafted the rules, and told them to go away and do better, but without disadvantaging equipment already on the market.

Quite what happened next is the subject of some speculation!

On point of view is that the rule-makers were so incensed at being given such a public dressing down that they deliberately redrafted the rules in such a way as to make them much more restrictive going forward!

Another is that several big companies wanted to use the band for their own ends and didn't want things like model control or wifi getting in the way of their pet projects!

Whatever, we ended up with a totally pointless alteration to the specification, which restricts our compatibility with the rest of the world. It is clearly pointless, because existing equipment was granted "grandfather" rights and can still be used. If there was a problem with the original equipment, this wouldn't have been permitted. And if its good enough for the USA, Japan, etc, etc, what's the problem?

So to answer your question, the rules were changed to "fix" a problem that didn't exist, and more likely, to avenge some severely bruised egos..........! You are no more likely to suffer interference from D8 than you are from DSM-2, or indeed any current system.

--

Pete

Posted by Peter Christy on 31/01/2018 16:53:21:
Posted by Don Fry on 31/01/2018 15:19:55:

So the restriction is there to reduce the chance of interfering with another user. Is there a reason why this is a bad idea?

The EU restrictions are a political decision rather than a technical one. The whole point of spread spectrum is that systems employing it don't interfere with each other. However, when it was introduced in Europe, the original specification was so badly drafted that every country interpreted them differently! The head honcho of the EU equivalent of Ofcom held a summit meeting at which he read the riot act to those who had drafted the rules, and told them to go away and do better, but without disadvantaging equipment already on the market.

Quite what happened next is the subject of some speculation!

On point of view is that the rule-makers were so incensed at being given such a public dressing down that they deliberately redrafted the rules in such a way as to make them much more restrictive going forward!

Another is that several big companies wanted to use the band for their own ends and didn't want things like model control or wifi getting in the way of their pet projects!

Whatever, we ended up with a totally pointless alteration to the specification, which restricts our compatibility with the rest of the world. It is clearly pointless, because existing equipment was granted "grandfather" rights and can still be used. If there was a problem with the original equipment, this wouldn't have been permitted. And if its good enough for the USA, Japan, etc, etc, what's the problem?

So to answer your question, the rules were changed to "fix" a problem that didn't exist, and more likely, to avenge some severely bruised egos..........! You are no more likely to suffer interference from D8 than you are from DSM-2, or indeed any current system.

--

Pete

With respect Peter, I didn't open the thread to explore the rights or wrongs of the EU restrictions.

As I asked Don, can we not muddy the waters please. I'd like to stick to the subject I raised, at least until I've decided whether or not to buy a Horus.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 31/01/2018 16:30:36:

I've got an X12, I understand that they all use the same iXJT module so the rf side of things should be the same.

Like Bob I've also got an X12, but its certainly my understanding that the module is the same, only the X10 has twin internal aerials (want one!!!). I've just checked the X10/X10S on the Companion and simulator, and without the EU box ticked you can select D8 mode. As I have read before, it appears FrSky do not lock their internal iXJT module, so OpenTX can access the D8 mode.

To be fully certain, why not ring T9 Hobbysport.

Thanks Bob & Andy, more questions - I'm using OpenTx 2.1.9 on the Taranis, there's no option for any version of Horus in the Settings of Companion. Am I right in assuming that I need to download the 2.2.0 or 2.2.1 to play with a virtual Horus [Ooo missus!] & that I can run both versions of Companion in parallel?

Yes you need to be on 2.2. This is the first implementation for the Horus. Yes you can run both versions, however, set up a different file location for 2.2 as you will need to download the 2.2 SD card for the Companion.

2.2 has a number of changes. The first is eepe files have gone, now they are otx. The Companion will convert all your models, though you will need to check them. It gets the odd minor thing wrong. I'm still converting my models, and actually is a good time to have a clean-up and standardise. Some of my early model settings certainly needed a bit of tweaking.

You need to read this: **LINK**

Someone had a Horus at the indoor flying session this evening so I asked him if he could use D8 mode even though he was on the EU (LBT) RF s/w and he confirmed that he could because he'd adjusted the s/w. So it's certainly possible.

I really wish you'd not mentioned it Pat. They do look very desirable but I'm on the second transmitter (Taranis) that would last me forever (the first was my Multiplex 3030).

Geoff

• 2 months later...

I'm about to flash my X12S it to OpenTx & a little nervous about the proccess so please bear with me if the answers to my questions are a obvious.
The FrOS installed is version 1.2.25 latest version seems to be 1.5.04, is it advisable to upgrade the FrOS to this before begining the change over to OpenTx ?
If so can I assume that I can jump straight to 1.5.04 & don't need to upgrade to any of the other versions first ?

Bob, the reason I asked if the FrOS should be updated is due to the fiollowing quote from the final page of Martin's (Andy48 's) Horus documentation :
Re-installing FrOS
As the FrOS firmware contains the transmitting module firmware, if this ever needs updating, it is necessary to return to FrOS, upload the latest version then reinstall OpenTX.

My reasoning is quite possibly (probably) flawed but I thought that by installing the latest FrOS firmware available before changing to OpenTx it might be more straightforward & could make the need to re-install it less likely at a later date.

Pat, as I said, as far as I'm aware 1.2.23 contains the last update to the tx rf module firmware. I don't think there is a problem with skipping FrOS versions should there be a need to update the rf firmware, if there is I'm in trouble as I have missed all update from 1.2.23 to 1.5.xx! If in doubt updating is probably the best policy.

Martin/Andy, where are you when we need you laugh