A second edf model

John Whoriskey

Advert

ALFA Sabre F86. Say no more..... Scale speed, stable, easy hand launch, lovely sit in the air, well detailed ( for a foamy ) flys on cheap 3s 1200 / 1500 Lipo and cheapy high KV motor. Comes complete with decent 3 blade EDF unit, and only requires 2 servos. Its a cracker....come see mine fly and I promise you, - you WILL want one.
/sites/3/images/member_albums/25339/alex-2-small-res.jpg

PS I think the graupner Hawk is the same as the flyfly one, only not in Red Arrows scheme.

Right, model comes with fan unit but no motor. pretty simple and regular ARTF assembly, with all parts fitting and finished well. Waterslide decals are supplies for 3 different schemes - mine is "The Huff". Only other bits required are 2 mini servos a high Kv motor such as a mega 2 turn or BRC have several that will do the job ( if you call Scott he will suggest a nice one). I always keep my EDFs as light as possible, so did not PolyC this one, and chose a 4900 Kv AON  motor that is happy on a 3s thin LiPo ( I use Flightpower 1200 - having tried a 1500, the small weight increase spoiled the bird for me ). There is little room up front for the battery which sits under the canopy, and therefore needs to be a thin one. I would suggest you get the model and check the fan first to see which mounting system they have used, as 2 versions exist - early models would NOT accept the mega motor and had a slightly different motor diameter shroud.....later models ( post 2008 ) I believe are fine with the mega. Ensure the EDF unit is spot on before installation as removal afterwards will need surgery and is not easy. Intake and exhaust ducting is smooth and needed no work on it at all. I added a very small piece of thin clear acylic sheet to the tail end to allow the efflux to exit smoothly, many people have done this and found the performance slightly improved.

Control throws are stock and need no more, or no less. The wing is detachable, but being quite a small bird, I seldom need to. They are quite fragile being light, even the wing is actually "hollow" with foam ribs and skins, and it does easily show up any rough handling, and the decals need a light coat of water based varnish to keep them good.

Mine weighs in at 14.5 ounces AUW. Trust me.... keep this one light and she will reward with excellent performance.

Check the "mouth" for F.O.D after landing. Flying is pretty straightforward if you have a little high speed and jet experience, as normal, allow speed to build after launch - mine dips slightly but I know her well, and it doesnt bother me at all, I just let her get on step and then gently ease the stick back for a smooth fast climb out. Keep the speed up in the turns, she will dig in a dn slip a bit if you slow her in a tight turn. Big scale loops are easy on a fresh battery, and rolls are quick, with inverted needing just a touch of down elevator - although mine is balanced spot on the built in COG pips in the wing, some folk may prefer it slightly rearward, but I think this spoils the sit in the air. I made up a little ply battery ledge to allow my pack to slide forward as far as possible, with the esc near the motor, and reciver midships. Use 2.4Ghz if possible.

I can post some pictures of these sorts of things if you need - just ask.

Expect to pay around £90 for the model, 20 -30 squid for the cheaper motor, servos ?...cheap as chips these days - in fact probably cheaper than Ramsays chips!

Heres some links that may be useful.

CML who also supplied me the AON 4900 kv motor

Review by Josh Spiers - who told me about the AON motor /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

I got mine from a "local" hobby shop as he gives me 10% discount, but several UK suppliers stock them, including Steve Webbs, SMC etc etc. Incidentally, my rig pulls just 12.5A static, which produces 130 watts and therefore is around 140 watts per pound. This means a smaller lightweight 20A ESC is fine, and I have been using a cheap Hi-Model one with built in 5V BEC supplying the gear, and never had a single problem in well over a hundred flights.

John, I have to disagree with Timbo, I prefer my Alfa Mig 15 , seriously the Alfa jets are very good fliers. They have video's of them all on their web site www.alfamodel.cz , and yes I can do ground take offs on my Mig from short grass.

They are very well detailled and fly very well, but are not the most robust model. 

John Whoriskey wrote (see)
would this motor and this esc do it timbo??

Yes. That in fact is the same ESC as in mine. The motor is higher Kv so would probably draw more current, but then you could throttle back if you wanted to increase flight times.

Incidentally, as mine has had so much use, and is looking its age, it is the one model I will definately replace in the not too distant future - the Mig does indeed fly well too, butI just prefer the look of the sabre - just an opinion of course

Certainly not without the drop tanks - that big mouth will suck up all the FOD it can find, and the nature of the "skin" will abrade very easily unless you glass / PolyC it. They are an easy peasy hand launch Shaun - perhaps you will get to see me demo mine at the Nats evening sessions.