Solarfilm

I use 'Fast-tack' instead of Balsaloc, the one with the gold writing. Just as good in my view, and available from any haberdashery/ dressmakers shop.

Can be a bit thick for some applications so you can thin it with water and still works well. Better than Balsaloc in my view. It is a heat activated glue for gluing seams on garments and works well on Solartex and Solarfilm Polyester with balsa and plywood, and I'd guess the other films we use.

It's low cost and lasts for ages as the small nozzle/cap doesn't let it dry out.

Advert

Just back from my expedition to Solarfilm at Coppull.

This is straight from the proprietors mouth.

Solarfilm no longer manufacture.

The original machinery which was in the Chorley factory was scrapped.

They have existing stocks of film, tex & the other items on their web site. The tex range is very limited with the popular colours gone.

They still supply various model retailers, such as Steve Webb.

I asked him "at the present rate of sales, how long could they keep going" 12 months was his answer.

Is there any likelihood of someone buying the name & resurrecting the products, not in the near future, particularly as the machinery, which was fairly new, has gone.

I collected & paid for my Solite transparent red & so called yellow, which looks like gold, & left a sadder & wiser man.cryingcrying

RIP SOLARTEX>

Edited By Stearman65 on 11/03/2019 16:53:47

Posted by buster prop on 11/03/2019 18:44:56:

I’m a fan of Balsaloc too, it really holds down the edges of film as described. However.. put some Vaseline on the pot threads or the lid may never unscrew again. I had a pot that was left for a few weeks and I only got the lid off after a struggle.

Stand it upside down in a saucer of very hot water so that just the lid is submerged for 30 seconds or so.

Oh yes, use a rag to unscrew the now hot lid!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 11/03/2019 19:25:26

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 11/03/2019 19:23:56:
Posted by buster prop on 11/03/2019 18:44:56:

I’m a fan of Balsaloc too, it really holds down the edges of film as described. However.. put some Vaseline on the pot threads or the lid may never unscrew again. I had a pot that was left for a few weeks and I only got the lid off after a struggle.

Stand it upside down in a saucer of very hot water so that just the lid is submerged for 30 seconds or so.

Oh yes, use a rag to unscrew the now hot lid!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 11/03/2019 19:25:26

Why didn't I think of that, it's a melt glue.