Decals or paint?

Sabre Flyer

I am building a WW1 type with Solartex covering and was thinking the roundals lettering etc. I know decals have come a long way in terms of quality recently going by the foamies I have had and wondered if there are good quality decals that look the part available for larger airframes?

Or should I go the paint route? I have had some success painting on to text but did find it difficult and relatively expensive.

Will go electric so not fuel proofing.

Any thoughts to help me decide are gratefully received

Sabre, model marking can also supply masks, the eqivilent of circular masking tape. Then you can do the job with a paint brush. Don't scrub the paint under the edge. Light coats.

You may well find that ordering two sets of masks is nowhere near twice the money. Practice off model, less stress. And if when painting say red over white, and the red is bleeding under the mask, if you put white on first, the bleed is white on white, (invisible), but this seals it, and then do red it does not bleed. But not necessary with a good artists quality brush, care, and light coats.

But bottom line, painted on looks right, that was how it was done.. A decal is a decal.

Expense yes, but the paints from HobbyKing are very good, and three pots will do roundels til you die.

Sabre,

A lot will depend on the size of model.

I used decal on my flair Legionnaire, more than adequate although not overly pretty. If i had not wanted to get the model into the air quite so quick then would have considered painting.

dscn0363.jpg

At 2m or more it makes little difference. However it all depends on what sort of model you want.

dscn0367.jpg

I have started to experiment with silk over tissue, very rewarding but a lot of work.

What ever you decide just enjoy.

dscn0368.jpg

Regards

SW

Hand painting rounders is not as difficult as you might think6f130ba1-ea2a-48fa-b093-c840f38f569f.jpeg

Use a compass like this (loads on fleabay, you can get a whole set for a few quid) the paint line created acts like a dam and is easy to paint up to. Use a bit of scrap ply at the centre of the rounded to protect the surface. I used normal household paint in tester pots from B & Q that work a treat. Practice on a bit of card first to get the ‘feel’ for it

Ken