Matching Motor to ESC rating

I was looking at various motor and ESC combos, comparing to what I have which has prompted this question.

I have the DualSky 50-60cc equivalent motor like this one:-

**LINK**

I bought the recommended DualSky matching ESC to use with motor which is this:-

**LINK**

However, I am not sure this ESC has sufficient rating to cope with the motor as similar set ups I have looked seem to use 160HV and above for the ESC. The weapon of choice seems to Castle Creations 160HV (or as some call it Castle Cremations!). Presumable using the Dualsky ESC would detract from the motor performance if the rating is not quite there. Any thoughts?

Advert

Adrian, it all depends what prop you plan to use, looking at the motor spec the Dualsky ESC seems a good match, the CC 160A just has a bit more head room. Motor performance should be the same on both ESCs.

If you post your prop size and proposed batteries, I can run this through Ecalc and let you know the predicted performance figures.

As long as you are operating at below the rated current of the ESC it should not make any difference to performance - it's the prop and the Kv that defines the load, not the max amp rating of the motor. My rule of thumb is no less than 10% headroom at full throttle, so on that ESC with a fully charged battery and the motor and prop combo of your choice I would not want to seeing a wattmeter reading of any more than 130-13 = 117A. Let Frank run the numbers for you and you will be able to tell whether your existing ESC will be suitable.

Makes for interesting reading, Frank. Seems to add up to me.

Simon, interesting what you say about the motor. The motor is the GA6000.8 V2 which is described as good for 3D flying ( I just do standard aeros so not something I would worry about.) Given if what you say is significant, I am sceptical of those claims and can't see how it would be suited to that style of flying.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 07/03/2018 19:24:22

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 07/03/2018 19:24:59

Adrian, no problem, but I could have saved myself some work, Dualsky have it all there in a table. Note they quote the motor is good for 3D planes upto 10kg and at "cruising power" it's producing over 12kg of static thrust, so a 10kg airframe will actually be accelerating vertically at that power setting and would quickly get out of sight.

BTW Dualsky quote 101 amps on a 12s at WOT so it looks like that agrees quite well with Ecalc