ace seamaster 40

rcaddict

Advert

A nice looking model Percy particularly the twin but I feel electric is the way to go. As you say spray is the problem and whilst the spray strakes help, moving the engines out (and up) away from being drenched is one solution. Unfortunately that tends to exacerbate the asymmetric problem when an engine stops (I said when, not if!). V-hulls are definitely better than the flat underside of the Seamster and Puddlemaster regarding water handling. Something I noticed with flying boats is that beamy hulls are also better, as are light models of course, floating higher in the water.

An excellent design, judging by the uTube video, is Ton van Munsteren's 45in span 'Wave', a free plan in the Oct 2009 RCM&E. I haven't built one although it is on 'the list'. The build blog is here if anyone is interested.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 15/03/2018 08:01:58

I agree absolutely regarding water ingress, despite my best efforts (duct tape and vaseline around hatches) water would get in everywhere. I glassed the fuselage, waterproofed the battery bay, and sealed all the film joints on the wings and tailplane. Still, that was part of the challenge. The biggest surprise to me was how the motor would keep running despite being hosed down with water. Even when the model was flipped over on it's back by a strong gust one day, the motor would continue to run, albeit slowly, when submerged in water. After being retrieved by the club rescue boat and when I got it home I shook as much water from the ESC as I could and placed it and the motor on the radiator to dry out. To this day the dunking had no ill effect on the motor or ESC, just as well it wasn't sea water!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 17/03/2018 02:40:55

Posted by onetenor on 17/03/2018 01:07:33:

If you Google Sea Prince model aircraft you get some pics of Percival P47 nice aircraft but not what we are looking for is it ?

Whilst I was googling I came across the Grumman goose which I've fallen in love with but weather one would be a good flyer if I could find a plan.